Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Recently my husband ran over my dog with his car. He has trouble

Customer Question

Recently my husband ran over my dog with his car. He has trouble walking after short periods of time, had bruising around his anus, won't wag his tail, and when he stands for a minute or longer his hips tool inward. What could be wrong and what should I do? This is a half Boston terrior half red nose pit.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Did he have x-rays of his chest or hips after he was hit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my family doesnt have a lot of extra money as I am a nursing student with two children and an unemployed husband. We could not/can not afford to take him to the vet. But I do love him dearly.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok, no problem. I was just making sure.

It sounds like he has some pelvic fractures. These are common after being run over in the driveway. These dogs will be weak in the rear legs, they will tire quickly and they will be wobbly when walking in the rear legs. The decreased tail wagging makes me wonder whether there is a tail fracture or dislocation as well.

The good news is that most dogs with pelvic fractures will do well if we put them on pain meds and give them time to heal. I'll usually give them a good 2-3 months for the fractures to heal. I recommend keeping them crated and only let them out for quick leash walks. The first 1-2 weeks are the worst, and then they slowly get better from there. Once things start to stabilize, they do much better and they get their energy back.

I usually put them on an anti-inflammatory med like Rimadyl and an opiate pain med like Tramadol. I give Tramadol at 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 8-12 hours as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Is there some other info you'd like?