Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

We have a fantail female in our pond , the only fantail with

We have a fantail female in our pond , the only fantail with other fish. she has spawned tice in the last 4 months. Once before in the last year. How often will she spawn? Is there a safe way to stop it? The other fish really go after her when she starts laying. She has to hide in the rocks, gets lodged. She lives in a 2,500 gallon pond with the others.
Thanks, Anita

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish keeping. I'm sorry to hear Chubby is having some problems.

If the weather is suitable, goldfish will continue to spawn. In warmer areas, this can go on from early spring to late fall, but they often stop in summer when the temperature is too warm. Unfortunately, the only way to stop Chubby from laying eggs would be to have an aquatic vet surgically remove her ovaries. That would be expensive and dangerous.

The chasing behavior is stressful for females. It sounds like Chubby may be the only female you have, which makes it worse for her. You are doing the only thing you can to help her, which is remove her form the pond. You might want to consider setting up a 20 gallon tank in your home, and making her a permanent household pet. Some pond keepers actually ahve two ponds and put all the males in one, and females in the other, but for most people, that isn't practical. I wish I could give you a simple way to stop her from laying eggs, but I believe you deserve an honest answer, and there really is no way.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anna,

You are fabulous. Outstanding information. I am actually looking for a good home for Chubby, because those guys drive her crazy. She hides in the rocks to escape, then she gets stuck and I come to the rescue. Do you think she would be happy going from a big pond to a smaller 20 gallon tank. And what about fish friends. No, I am not crazy, but I have observed some pretty interesting behavior. Should she be only with fantails or just females of any colony fish?

I am a Registered Nurse and LOVED Biology. If I could have two lives I would become a Biologist.

Thank you again for your help.

Anita

You're welcome, Anita. Biology is always fascinating, but you had to study plenty of it to become a nurse. Yes, Chubby would adjust to a 20 gallon tank. However, that is not big enough for more than one goldfish. They do interact with each other, but to keep the water quality up as they continue to grow, I recommend at least 20 gallons per fish.I’ll share my own experience with 12 inches total of goldfish (3 fish). They are in a 90 gallon tank. I have an undergravel filter, a hanging filter, and a powerful canister filter. It takes all three of those filters to maintain perfect water quality. Regardless of tank size, frequent water testing is needed. So, if you want to provide Chubby some friends, you'll want a big tank. All types of goldfish get along and interbreed. The fantails, because of their body shape, can swim as fast as the more streamlined types, and that can lead to problems during spawning, as you've seen. For that reason, Chubby would probably be better off with other fantails, unless you are certain all the goldfish are females.

I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well for you and Chubby.

Anna

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chubby. How is everything going?

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chubby is doing fine. we are looking for a good home for her and have decided to look for a new pond for the other goldfish (deep orange with ling tails) about 4-5 inches each. For now no more spawning: thank heavens. The Koi are the polite nice fish and never bothered Chubby. Do Koi tolerate other species more than other fish?

Also, do fish enjoy the company of other fish or prefer to be solitary? Especially Fantails?

Thanks for checking back.

I hope you find a suitable home for Chubby soon. Goldfish, including fantails, and koi do prefer the company of other fish, but can live alone successfully. Most koi are quite tolerant, but there are always exceptions. And, just like goldfish, males can be aggressive during spawning. They didn't bother Chubby because they know she isn't a koi.

Anna