Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Can my newborn (theyre not hatched yet) praying mantises eat

Can my newborn (they're not hatched yet) praying mantises eat the fruit flies in my kitchen? I purposely left a slice of pineapple out, and I have plenty of them.
Hello there! Great question. Yes definitely if you can capture the fruit flies that are able to fly then yes the mantis will be able to eat them. The trick will be keeping them in the enclosure. I feed fruit flies to my dart frogs and the enclosure uses screen (like in windows) to cover any holes that the fruit flies can escape. So you may want to cover the holes if there are any with screen. You can get at any hardware store. But yes definitely use the fruit flies that are free in your house since the flightless ones can be expensive. I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns