Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Subject: Anna Hi Anna, its Tina. I want to update you

Subject: Anna

Hi Anna, it's Tina. I want to update you on my fading GloFish problem -- she didn't make it which I expected -- all other tankmates are doing well. I have another issue with my 2.5 gallon Betta tank. Suddenly I'm experiencing low PH 6.6 all other water conditions ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are within normal parameters. I have done water changes and used PH up with very little change. I have also tested the tap water which resulted in a normal reading of 7.0. Is there anything else I can do?
Hi Tina,

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Glofish, but it is what we expected. It's still always sad to lose a beautiful fish. Betta's do not need a pH of 7.0, and in fact they do better if it is a bit lower. 6.6 is fine. And while they can adjust to higher pH, some experienced betta keepers actually use blackwater extract to lower the pH for their bettas. I would get rid of the pH -Up. It causes more problems than it ever solves. Using it can lead to pH fluctuations, which are often fatal. Here's where you can read a good explanation of pH:

http://nippyfish.net/2006/06/02/adjusting-aquarium-ph-level/

Do make sure your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 for the betta, as for all fish. As always, if you have more questions, just let me know.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I'm alright then. Thanks Anna.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear everything is fine for your betta.

Anna
Hi Tina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tony. How is everything going?

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Anna,

All seems well and Tony is fine. I did perform a scheduled water change this weekend and the PH is reading 7.0; all other water chemistries fall within the normal range. Thanks so much for checking in.

Hi Tina,

I'm glad to hear all is going well now. I hope it stays that way for good. Thank you for the update.

Anna