Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My hamster had a fall 4 days ago and has been completely fine,

Customer Question

My hamster had a fall 4 days ago and has been completely fine, playing and running on her wheel eating up until today. My daughter got her out of her cage this morning and her top teeth Can been seen like the gum around them was split. His teeth seem as if they have shifted and now inside his mouth there is a hole (maybe where teeth shifted from?) She is making funny sounds and not moving much. There was blood around her nose which I cleaned.
I tried giving her some thyme tea with an eye dropper and have yogurt in her dish and thyme under her bedding.
Please help us save her.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I do a lot of work with small animals and would like help with your Hamster. Is there any way to post a pciture of what you are seeing in the mouth? A visual of the teeth and the area would help me to assist you and help her. You can use the paper clip icon in the tool bar to upload a picture if you are using a PC. if you are using a Mac, please use Photobucket.com and post the link here.

I do need to know if she is eating at all and drinking?

Is she passing pellets and urine?

What type of Hamster is she a Dwarf or Syrian?What type of bedding are you using?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did pee earlier and pooped as well. It is cedar chip bedding. She drank a tiny bit of the thyme tea. But not drinking out of bottle i dont think.
She also had a couple licks of the yogurt we out in her dish.
She is a teddy bear hamster
I will try and post a picture of her.
I am not sure if she is having trouble breathing or if its the position of her teeth. She seems to be sneezing too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is having trouble breathing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also there is blood coming out nose. Not much. More like light closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I upload pic from iPad????
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The red you were seeing from her nose I suspect is Porphyrin, which is usually seen when a Rodent is stressed. It looks like blood but is not exactly the same. This is some information on porphyrin in rodents: http://www.sandyscrittercity.com/bloodynoseandeyes.htm

Please get rid of the Cedar Bedding. It is toxic to Rodents. Cedar and Pine contain phenols which can adversely affect breathing in your hamster and also affect the skin the skin. You can use some shredded paper towels for tonight and then use care fresh bedding which is a safe recycled paper bedding. Cedar toxicity: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/guineapigs/a/woodshavings.htm

The teeth are open ended and if there are problems, they can be pulled and they will regrow. It is possible the bottom teeth may have cause a problem in the top of the mouth when she took the fall. She does need to see a small Exotic Vet to check the teeth out as I am sure there is a malocclusion from the fall. We can clean the mouth with a diluted betadine solution and warm water, placed on a q-tip and clean the area in the mouth. Next please get some Critical Care: http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/critical_care and mix as directed and feed via syringe or eye dropper. If you cannot find Critical Care, you can use some pellets and grind them finely and mix with some pedialyte(infant electrolyte replacer) and syringe feed or eye dropper feed. You can also use a diulted pedialyte soultion and water to get fluid into her. We need to make sure to keep food and fluids going in. This is a link for Exotic Vets in Canada: http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm or

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32859-us-canada-etc-rodent-veterinary-database/

To post a picture from an I pad you would have to set an account with Photobucket.com and upload a picture to the site and then post a link here. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am here to help you and your Hamster. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/tmtgeorge/media/image_zps79b38f55.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I just viewed the pictures and it is what I suspected, that the bottom teeth went into the roof of the mouth causing the injury. The top teeth look like they were pushed out of place. I feel the Vet may pull the top teeth or at least trim them and the bottom teeth to try and get them to adjust, so she will be able to eat. They will most likely start a little pain medication and an antibiotic. Right now a soft diet(Critical Care) as I suggested will help. You can give a little plain yogurt. To aid with breathing, she can be taken into a steamy bathroom for about 20 mins to help open the breathing passages. Please change the bedding asap. If you have further questions please let me know. I am here to help you and your little hamster. joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Is betadine the same as peroxide or iodine? I'm in Canada. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will the hole in the roof of the mouth repair itself?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Betadine is Provodine Idodine and is sold where first aid supplies are sold. You can ask the Pharmacist. It is a brown solution. You want to make sure to dilute it to tea color and gently day the area with the tea colored solution on a q-tip. The hole is where the bottom teeth punctured the roof of the mouth. It could heal on its own, but I suggest having a Vet look at it, because it is very hard to see the extent of the damage or how deep the teeth penetrated the area from a picture. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now her one eye is closed. Been cleaning with warm water. Not sure what else to do?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

You can use some plain saline eye drops without preservatives, to lubricate the eye. I am sure it is all related to the top teeth and the fall. The tooth roots may have affected the eye and are causing swelling and pain. As I suggested I think that your Hamster should see the Exotic Vet asap, where a hands on exam can be done and the Vet can treat the problem. They can give pain medication and antibiotics that are safe for her. I truely believe this is beyond home treatment, with the new eye problems. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She went today to the vet. They gave her antibiotics. And left the teeth in hoping the tissue will firm up around them and make them for stable.
She also sent me with critical care food and we bought new bedding like you suggested.
The hole in her mouth may or may not heal with the antibiotics. If not there is the option of putting her under and stitching it up. Which with her already fighting a cold may have a bad prognosis.
She has said that there is a 50% chance of it healing and 50% not. So we're hoping.
Should I sit ill be cleaning the wound in her mouth with betadine and water?
I forgot to ask.
She did take some pedialyte earlier and more thyme tea but has not eaten.
Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I would stop the Betadine and water, since she is now on Antibiotics. I would mix the Critical Care food with the Pedialyte and use the eye dropper to get some into her. It is important to get food into her. We have to have food going in, to keep her bowels going to prevent a GI stasis. Continue to use the steamy bathroom to help with her breathing. You are doing a great job, but it does take time for healing. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am to give her one teaspoon of critical care a day. So that means one teaspoon of pedialyte? It's berry flavoured they didn't have unflavoured.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

You can mix the Critical Care in 1/4 teaspoon at a time with the Pedialyte where it can be fed with an eye dropper and given in 3-4 feedings. The Pedialyte flavor is fine and may make it more appetizing. This will make it easier to dropper feed. I am afraid she would not take a teaspoon of food all at one time. You can also see if you can get some Nutri Cal which is a high potency paste she may lick off your finger. It is full of vitamins and it will also help boost her immune system. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much pedialyte? Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

You want to use enough pedialyte to dilute the Critical Care, where you can draw it up into the eye dropper. We are going to use it instead of food. The Critical Care is a nutition source, and since it is a powder, it needs to be diluted. You can use a small medicine cup and place the Critical Care in the cup and dilute it so you can feed it with the eye dropper. I also suggested some Nuti-Cal http://www.1800petmeds.com/Nutri+Cal-prod1340.html

which is a paste that is sold at the pet shop. You can use a dab on your finger and see if your Hamster will lick it off. Please do not forget to rate my service if you feel I am doing a good job. We can still continue, as long as you need me. I am usually here about 14-16 hours a day on and off. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the paste is for dogs and cats. How many times a day would I give it to her
? You have been a great help.
In your opinion will the hole heal with the meds?
And also was it the right choice to leave the teeth how they are?
We don't have any exotic vets close but I felt the dr. Was very thorough.
Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I would just use a dab of the paste 1 time a day and see how she does, allow her to lick it off. It does not take much, since it is very high potency. As far as the area in the mouth, it is hard to say how much it will heal. It should, but it may take a while since the mouth is always moist, which makes it a bad area for an injury. As far as the top teeth, if they were removed they would grow back, but the decision made by the Vet who had seen her, was the most knowledgeable, since he could examine her hands on, which all I could do is see the picture. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet was worried in her condition going under for a stitch in the mouth wouldn't have a good prognosis.
She is also worried about aspirating and the food and water getting in the hole.
I guess only time will tell.
Do I get cat or dog nutrical?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

They are both about the same except for flavor. I would try the cat for her. It is thick, so if she licks it it should not aspirate her ot get into the wound. I understand the Vet's concern. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More question....sorry for taking so much time. How long is the critical care good for once it has had the water/pedialyte added to it!??
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

It is my pleasure to assist you. I would say it would be good for 4-6 hours. That is why I suggested to mix just a little at a time. This way it does not go bad. Pedialyte can be refrigerated after opened, but would use it at room temperature when mixing with the Critical Care. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Trina,
Just checking in to see how the hamster is doing. Hope all is well. Please let me know if you need more help. Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been feeding her critical care through an eye dropper. She is doing well taking it and also the pedialyte.
I did notice some food stuck in the hole and cleaned it with a warm q-tip. Don't know if that's correct?
Also the vet said the teeth will likely fall out. How long would that take? And will they grow back?
Thanks
Trina
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

You can use a little water in the eye dropper to flush out the hole. It will heal to a certain extent and may have an indentation, but should be fine. As far as the teeth, the roots are open ended and the teeth continue to grow, so there is no worries if they do fall out, there will be more teeth back in the mouth eventually. You are doing a great job with the nursing. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joan,
The hole appears to be healing but she still will not eat. I have been feeding her the critical care. But it ran out this morning. She is breathing funny again almost like hiccuping. Her eye is much better both stay open now. But I'm worried she won't make the night. I have tried scrambled eggs, yogurt, bread soaked with milk and hear pod crushed with pedialyte to soften. But she doesn't even out it.
I also picked up nutri cal but she didn't lick it so I suk some in her mouth so she had to lick it off.
How much water/pedialyte should she be haing a day and how often? I don't want to make her choke.....
Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to hear her mouth is healing. Her teeth are sore so eating will be a problem for a while. She may have the hiccups from gas in her stomach. You can take her into the steamy bathroom and that should help relax her and help with breathing. As far as the pedialyte and water you can give her a dropper full every few hours if she will take it. Just give it very slow and allow her to swallow it. You can use her pellets finely ground and mix with the pedialyte into a slurry until you can get more Critical Care. Continue to use the Nuti-Cal once a day because that is high potency and will help. Keep trying soft egg and yogurt. The top teeth will make it hard for her to eat normally. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is trying to walk but seems very disoriented almost as if difficult for her or she is loosing balance. Does this mean she is losing the fight!?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi

It sounds like she is having some vestibular issues. This is the part of the inner ear that allows all living creatures to walk normally. This may also be from her fall. This is not uncommon when there is a fall, swelling can cause this or a dental issue from the tooth roots. I would try and keep help quite and in an area where she cannot hurt herself. Hopefully this will resolve itself. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please be honest. This will not resolve itself will it
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Depending if it is vestibular caused by swelling or fluid in the inner ear it can resolve itself. We do not know what is causing the vertigo other than the vestibular apparatus is affected which is what controls balance. I have see issues like this come on and leave just as quickly. What I would like you to do in case it is being caused by a low glucose level, please take a little karo syrup or pancake syrup and put a drop in her mouth. Weakness from a drop in blood sugar can cause lack of coordination and balance. We are going to do everything to help pull her through. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is karo syrup!? What about corn syrup?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Karo syrup is the brand name for corn syrup. Sometimes the glucose leves can be off and that can cause lack of coordination. Just use a drop on her tongue. hopefully it will perk her up a bit. I would never lie to you. I am just hoping it is a minor set back, since she has come so far since the fall. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is very cool to the touh too. Thinking respiratory again?sorry for being such a pain.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi

You are not a pain, just a very concerned Hamster parent. You can use a Heating pad on low under her enclosure, or you can take a sock and fill with uncooked rice, tie it off, warm it in the microwave and wrap in a towel and place it in with her for warmth. Hopefully she will start feeling better with the warmth.

I will be going off in a few mins, but will check on her in the morning EST. It is almost 2am here and time for me to get some rest. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the same time here as we'll. she is in her cage now. But just staring up higher than a hunched position. Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Watch for urine and pellets. she may be having problems passing them since she is not eating much. Try and warm her up and I will check in the morning. I have been on since 8am so getting a little tired. This may be the respiratory issue. As I said you can take her into the steamy bathroom to help with her breathing. The steam will help her breath easier. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see how your Hamster is doing today.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems like the vertigo has diminished. I got more critical care today. She is trying to push syringe away with paws. But still not eating on own. Teeth have moved down and are very yellow p. looking like they are dying or getting ready to fall out. They bother her.
She doesn't seem to be keeping her body clean, she wipes her face of that's it.
How often do I give nutri cal? She doesn't lick it either, I have to force it into her mouth then she has to kick it down.
Thx
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The teeth are normally darkened yellow, so that does not surprise me. The Nutri-cal is once a day, because it is high potency and we do not want to stress her. Just keep up with the Critical Care, for now. You can take a dry rag and wipe her down a little. Once she starts feeling better she should start grooming again. If she seems to be getting stronger, you may want to speak with with the Vet about removing the teeth and a pain killer if she seems painful. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet didn't want to put such a young hamster under. And she hoped the tissue would firm up around the teeth. Won't they just fall out because of the trauma they have had?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

It is hard to say what will happen with the teeth, because they continue to grow due to the roots are open ended. The teeth if they do not fall out will eventually need to be trimmed to be sure they are aligned with the bottom ones. It sounds like she is doing better and it will take time and patience. I am hoping for a full recovery. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...I read somewhere that the teeth can be trimmed with nail clippers or scissors, is this correct?
And also is the thyme tea a good thing to do and how often?
Here no more questions. Han for your help.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

It is my pleasure to assist you. The nail clippers is what I usually use when doing the teeth. If a Hamster has chew toys that will usually wear the teeth down. Right now I would not do anything until there is more healing. From what I have heard if you do use Thyme tea it needs to steep for 2-3 hours and once cooled you can give .1ml 2x daily via eye dropper. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.1ml or 1ml?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

0.1ml 2x a day would be the correct ammount. There is no guarantees that it works, but there are some Hamster owners that say it is excellent. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not good with calculations....how many ccs would that be? I have been giving only once a day. Sometimes every other day. But giving 2-3 ml. Holy cow too much. Would that harm her?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

It should not hurt her it is not that much more. You would give her 1cc/1ml. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joan,
I'm just wondering why tonight she would be so bloated. My daughter evn commented on how fat she felt.
Wondering if they bloat before they pass?
Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

She may not be passing enough fluid and pellets an is constipated, or she may have some gas that is trapped. You can try a little piece of peeled apple and see if she will eat a little. That would help with passing pellets. Bloating can be caused becuase of the type of diet she is on.You can try a little infant Mylicon drops. Just give her 1drop to see if that will help. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is mylicon drops? The only diet she is on is the critical care and pedialyte. She isn't eating muchon her own if any. It's oxbow food soaked in milk and broken up small.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Mylicon drops are given to babies for gas. I think I just found the problem. You need to dilute the Oxbow Critical care in Pedialyte and not milk. Too much milk can bloat the Hamster. A Hamster cannot break down the sugars in the lactose and that can bloat her. What you want to do is grind the Critical Care finely and mix with the Pedialyte and then feed. Try to stay away from the milk. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the critical care is mixed with pedialyte and water.
Had oxbow hamster thatmxed with milk. She never ate enough of it to affect her. I don't think.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thats ok then, because we limit any milk because of the lactose. Even cats cannot drink milk on a regular basis. I would try the Mylicon drops and for gas. I would also check for her passing urine and pellets. It is important that we are sure she is eliminating, because constipation or not urinating can cause the bloating. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try those tomorrow. 1 drop how often?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Start with 1 drop every 4 hours and see if it seems to help. Please make sure she is passing urine and stool. If she is not eliminating, that can be another issue we may have to deal with. She may require another Vet visit if she is retaining fluid. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find mylicon. The pharmacist has never heard of it. He said oval?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry ovol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have googled and appears they are the same. Mylicon US and Ovol Camada.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

It isMylicon is Simethicone which is an anti gas for infants. Ovol is the same medication. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been giving drops since Thursday night. She is pooping. Not pellets though. She still isn't having much energy. Just staying up top in her loft. Still feeding her critical care and giving pedialyte for fluids.
Not sure she will ever come out of this......
Any other recommendations?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

At this point we have done everything we can do at home. It is a matter of time and healing. Hopefully she will start coming out of it. As I have suggested a recheck bu the Vet may be wise, to see if they have any further suggestions or medications that can help her feel better. with this type of injury time and nursing is what will help. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amazingly enough she took her nutri cal off of my finger. She gobbled it right up so I gave her a little extra.
She then took her yogurt treats after we broker them in half. She smelled so I washed her tummy and under area. She was even wandering around the floor at a fast pace!!!! Here's hoping.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely Great News! Will keep her in my prayers for a complete recovery! Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quick question, she is pooping very soft light light brown poops. Washed her underside today as she smelled.
Should I be worried wet tail? Or possibly just cause she is eating some of her good again?
Changed bedding again today and washed cage and bowl.
She is still not back on her wheel which she did constantly before all his began almost 10 days ago.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I do not suspect Wet tail. The antibiotics and soft foods can make the stool loose. I would start a probiotic like BeneBac which you can get at the Pet shop. It will help with rebuilding the good bacteria in the stomach. The wet foods which are soft will also give her softer stools. It will take time for her to get back to her wheel. Right now the fact she is feeling better is great. We have to remember a couple of days ago you asked me if she was dying and she just started to eat again, so I would not rush the wheel. Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Just worried with under area wet looking. She still sleeps hunched
Thanks
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I understand how you feel, since we have gotten this far. You can try some mashed bananas for her and see if she will eat some. That would help with her stool being soft. Joan