Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

my chinchilla is losing fur on her chest and underarms, wh

my chinchilla is losing fur on her chest and underarms, why?

There are quite a few reasons for hair loss in chinchillas. The most common is if a chinchilla is housed with a second chinchilla, is barbering. The next most common problem is fungal infections. Some of the fungal infections can be of unknown origins and the other type is Ringworm which is also a very common fungal infection. The Fungal infections have to be diagnosed with a culture and treated with antifungal medication. Other reasons for hair loss can be from hormonal changes, mites, or even bedding. Wood bedding like cedar or pine are toxic. They contain phenols that can cause hair loss, as well as respiratory issues. Hair loss in a chinchilla needs to be addressed by an Exotic Vet. This is a link to locate some Exotic Mammal Vets who can treat Phoebe: Please let me know if you need further help. When it comes to hair loss, in a chinchilla, a hands on exam is a must. Joan

Hi Kathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Phoebe. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
your answer made sense to me so i took her to an exotic pet vet who found a large uterin tumor. i made the chce to puther to sleep and avoid the suffering the vet said would soon come. thanks for your help.....k.s.

I am so sorry for the loss. The tumor would account for the hormonal changes causing the hair loss. Please accept my sincerest condolences. Joan