Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

Hi. I have a 7 year old potcake dog with Lyme disease and

Hi. I have a 7 year old potcake dog with Lyme disease and horrible arthritis. Recently we began fish oil and 750mg of aspirin (dog weighs75 pounds) as needed. Yesterday the dog played hard. Today she is pretty lethargic and seemingly in pain. A friend offered tramadol. I've done a little research and can't really come to a conclusion if it's safe to give and I would have no idea of the dose. The last thing I want is to make her feel worse. My funds are extremely low for the next several days otherwise I would take her to the emergency vets today. Is it ok to give her Ultram? If so how much? Is it ok to give more aspirin? i don't want to overdo that and give her stomach problems. ???What do to!
Thanks for your help, Megan

Drew : Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
Drew : Fortunately, Tramadol is generally regarded as safe in dogs,
Drew : typically it is dosed at about 1-2mg per pound of body weight, so I'd start at 1-1/2 tablets every 6 to 8 hours as needed for pain management.
Drew : aspirin is of concern, since it can cause many dogs to develop ulcers in the stomach,
Drew : so if the pain can be managed with the tramadol, and the aspirin can be avoided, it would be a good thing.
Drew : additionally, aspirin can cause bleeding disorders in dogs, and it lingers in the system for up to 7 days after dosing, so its effects can be persistent.
Customer: I gave her 2 doses of Aspirin yesterday and it's hard to tell if the aspirins making her feel bad,the pain or both.
Drew : well, it's not a very good painkiller, so I rarely suggest its use in dogs unless finances prohibit any better options
Customer: Are there side effects to watch for with tramadol? I know it's not narcotic. Is the human version ok to give since I have that at my disposal
Drew : there is no veterinary version of tramadol. the human version is the only one available.
Drew : side effects can include drowsiness, but sometimes agitation or excitability can be seen.
Customer: I think I'll give it a try then. I will follow up with her regular vet when not on a weekend!! I appretiate your feedback. It's nearly 2:30pm where I am & tge dog hasn't even shown interest in her food or goig outside to pee even. I know she's feeling pretty bad. I hope it helps!
Customer: Thanks so much:-)
Drew : I hope it does help!
Drew : you also can give Pepcid-AC, 10 mg, to help reduce stomach acidity and irritation that might have been caused by aspirin.
Drew : best wishes to you both :)