Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

hello, I was at the dog park today, and a yorkie pawed my

hello,

I was at the dog park today, and a yorkie pawed my chihuahua and caused him to bleed at the corner of his eye. He seemed ok,, but now i see the eye seems to be closing up a bit. Is there something I should put on his eyelids to prevent infection? or just leave it alone since it doesnt seem to have infected the eyeball. I am taking him to get checked on Monday, but if it might need to be seen quicker than that, i will take him tomorrow.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name isXXXXX and sounds like your little guy might just have some swelling due to the trauma of being pawed in the face. You can definitely use some eye wash to rinse out his eye to make sure there is not dirt or debris in his eye causing a problem. You can also then give him a little tylenol if you would like to help with the swelling. the dose is 5 mg per pound so you will most likely need children's tylenol for a little guy like him. Finally you can apply a cold compress to his evey for 10 minutes a every few hours to reduce any inflammation. If the eye becomes extra painful or sensitive then i would recommend having him seen before Monday. But if its just swollen and he doesn't seem to be bothered to much then definitely have it checked on Monday.
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for the awesome response. It is perfect.
You are very welcome. I hope his eye heels up quickly! Have a great weekend.