Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Why is my Red Starfire GloFish fading in color?

Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear your Glofish is having a problem. There are a number of conditions that can cause color-fading in any kind of fish. Some additional information will be helpful.

What kind of set-up do you have - tank size, temperature, number of fish in the tank, etc.?

Look closely at the fish. Do you see any sores on it? Is there a little bend in the spine? Do the eyes look normal?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anna,

It's me Tina. You helped about a month ago with my nitrate problem. To jog your memory, I have a 36 gallon freshwater aquarium consisting of 4 GloFish (2 red, 1 orange and 1 yellow), 2 Red Gourami, 2 Albino Cory, 7 assorted Platy, approx 8 snails and live plants. Water temp is approx 79 degrees F. Only one of the red GloFish is fading - other than the loss of color, everything appears normal.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tina. Yes, I remember you. When color fades in a fish, it means something is wrong. If other symptoms were present, we might be able to figure out what it was, but with only one symptom, we can't really narrow it down. The best thing to try first is an antibiotic. Maracyn is a good one. I hope you can set up a hospital tank for this fish because it's bad for the healthy ones to be exposed to medication they don't need. You can sue almost any container, such as a dishpan or a one gallon tank for a fish this small. Whatever you use, you'll need to but some form of aeration in it. A small heater (made for betta tanks) will also be needed. Then just treat the fish according to the directions on the package.

Fading color is a serious symptom. The fish may have an internal problem of some sort. Some conditions don't respond to any treatment. If you notice any of the symptoms I mentioned above, the best decision may be to euthanize the fish. Glofish are actually zebra danios that ahve been genetically engineered for bright colors. When danios begin to fade, what usually follows is bent spine and death. I hate having to tell you this, but I want you to be prepared in case. I would certainly try treating the fish. It just may help. I hope so.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Anna, I will take your advice into consideration.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I wish you success.

If you have questions for me in the future, just put 'Anna' in the subject line of the question, and post it in the "Pets" category.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.