Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my cat gave birth early hours of last night/this morning.we

Customer Question

my cat gave birth early hours of last night/this morning.we took her to a vet on sunday to which they told me i had a bout 2/3 weeks before they where due.she also told me that she wasnt producing milk but that would come in time..my question is the kittens are not crying and seem content so how do i know if she is feeding properly and is there anything else i should look out for as this is my first litter.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Karl,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. It is often difficult to see if a cat is producing milk as you cannot express milk as in a cow. But generally speaking if the kittens are suckling and seem content and are not crying then this would be a very good indicator that they are getting enough milk and everything is OK. It is as simple as that ...

2. What else should you be looking out for? Well actually she will usually do all the work for you, cats are very natural mothers. You can start to wean the kittens at around four weeks of age, they should be on solids at about eight weeks of age and they can go to new homes at about twelve weeks of age. Also consider spaying the mother cat when the kittens have gone.

All you have to do is to provide a warm nesting box for them and make sure mom is well fed and happy. Here is a link to a very good article which covers the subject in real depth : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.

Hello again Karl,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. If I can ever advise you again at any point in the future then please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Kindest regards XXX XXXX luck with the Mum and kittens ... ,

Scott