Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc.

I have a 14 week old German Shepherd. When I got home from

I have a 14 week old German Shepherd. When I got home from the store tonight she had been throwing up. She has been drinking a lot of water. It's like she can not get enough to drink. She had a bowel movement which was a mixture of hard and runny. Her nose is also warm and dry. I can not find anything which she could have gotten into while we were gone. She is up to date on her vaccinations which her last ones she had gotten was 3 days ago. Should I take her to the emergency vet or can I wait until her vet opens tomorrow?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your young German Shepherd girl Lucy Lu who has been throwing up and drinking a lot of water. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here with Lucy Lu, from an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, or something she shouldn't have), a toxicity, or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within her bowel). As she has been started on her vaccinations, it would be very unlikely that this was due to something like parvo virus.

If this has been going on all day and Lucy Lu hasn't really been able to keep her water down, then I would definitely encourage you to get her examined at your local emergency vet this evening. The main worry now is that if she isn't able to keep water down, then she could very quickly become dehydrated. Whatever the case you will definitely need to visit your Vet first thing tomorrow morning unless this vomiting settles. In the mean time, please keep a close eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get Lucy Lu to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

In the mean time, you need to with hold food until the morning and then start her on something really bland. I would suggest cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice for a few days. You also need to encourage her water intake. If she can't keep this down, then she really needs to be seen today to have an IV line placed to rehydrate her.

Best of luck with Lucy Lu and let me know how you get on. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback ( 5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box
Hi Theresa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy Lu. How is everything going?

Pet Doc