Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My chinchilla is not acting right. He did not eat last night

Customer Question

My chinchilla is not acting right. He did not eat last night and he seems very lethargic. what should I do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

Is Mr Pibb drinking at all?

Is he passing any stool?

When was the last time he has eaten?

What type of diet do you feed?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is passing stool He does not seem interested in drinking. He eats Charlie Chin pellets.

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

Do you feed any Timothy Hay at all beside the pellets?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
have not received an answer
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

You did not respond to my last inquiry, so I wanted to address the problem. The fact that Mr Pibb has stopped eating can be the onset of a painful abdomen. Which can cause a GI Statis or Ileus. It is important for a Chinchilla to have a pile of Timothy Hay or Orchard grasses about the size of their body daily. The hay is a mainstay in the diet of a Chinchilla. If they do not get enough fiber in the diet the gut stops working and that is when they run into severe problems. You can read more ablout Chinchilla Diets here: http://www.chinchillachronicles.com/chinchilla_nutrition_food_and_diet.html

You will notice in the link above that Charlie Chinchilla pellets are not the best source of nutrition and actually can cause picky eating because of the extras in the pellets.They are not a balanced food source.

I would start Mr. Pibb on some Pedilayte infant electolyte replacer mix with water and start to syringe feed. You also need to get some Oxbow Critical care and mix according to the directions and syringe feed in small increments. This is first aid. If we do not get some of the fluids and Critical Care into Mr Pibb, he can go into a full blown GI Stasis. I would like to see you get him into a Vet today, whether a regular Vet or an ER Vet for supportive care. When a Chinchilla stops eating and drinking, this becomes an emergency situation. This is a link about Ileus or GI Statis in Chinchillas: http://exoticpets.about.com/od/Health/a/Chinchilla-Ileus.htm

Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I waited a very long time but did not get this response. I am not sure why it took so long for the reply to show up. Mr. Pibb passed away on Sunday.

I am not unhappy with your reply, however this site seems to have delays in getting delivering your response.

I have been asked to rate my experience. I am not sure how to rate this site vs you personally.

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

I am so sorry for the loss of Mr. Pibb! The Rating is for My Personal Service that I had given you. I was hoping you would read my information and get him the emergency treatment he needed. The site has had some glitches and delays and all I can do is appologise for that. I wanted to get the important information to you asap. My goal was to give you Excellent Service and to assist you and Mr Pibb. Please accept my Condolences. To complain about the site problems you faced you can write to [email protected] and let them know about the delays. Joan