Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Hi , By the way I love Vets and how they dedicate to help the

Hi , By the way I love Vets and how they dedicate to help the animals :). Just wanted to ask I have a female cute 9 months old bunny rabbit. Since yesutrday she hasn;t been drinking much water which was my concern. Though she has been eating fine and her droppings are normal as well as her urinating. Any thing to worry about ?? and ref to rabbits, what are the food that MUST NOT be given to them ??
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are doing your best to take excellent care of Ms. Sniffers. I have been raising and showing rabbits for over 30 years, and I can help with your questions. How much a rabbit will drink depends on a number of factors: whether or not they have been eating greens or other fresh produce, how much exercise they get, and the temperature among others. Do check to make sure the water bottle hasn't gotten clogged up and that the water is fresh. If everything is all right there, and Ms. Sniffles eats well is behaves normally, you don't need to worry about her water intake.

As for diet, the most important thing to feed is good-quality timothy hay. Don't use alfalfa because it can lead to health problems. Rabbits should be allowed to eat as much of this good grass hay as they want. You can usually buy it in a pet store in bags. If you can't find any locally, here is an online source.

http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp

I can't emphasize enough the importance of feeding your rabbits hay. It will keep the digestive system working properly.

A five pound rabbit should also get about 1/8 cup of pellets daily.Use plain rabbit pellets, not any of the so-called gourmet mixes. They often contain seeds, nuts, and dried fruits which are very bad for rabbits. A variety of fresh produce, especially greens, is also important. Iceberg lettuce, however, isn't good. It has no nutrients in it and can lead to diarrhea. Spinach and kale are high in oxalic acid which can cause bladder stones. Onions and garlic are toxic in large enough amounts. Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and cabbage are gas-producing, and that can also lead to digestive upset. The following link will take you to a site with detailed information on rabbit feeding, including lists of the best produce, and what foods to avoid:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Don't use cedar or pine chips or shavings for litter. Both contain oils that can irritate the skin and even damage internal organs. CareFresh is an excellent litter, and the aspen litters are also good.

You will need to clip your rabbit's nails. The first time, you may want to take them to a pet groomer or vet, and watch how it's done. You can get them used to having their feet and toes handled to make this job easier. Rabbits should not be bathed, but brushing is good for the coat.

I highly recommend this site for learning about rabbit care:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/rabbithealth.html

When you have some time, you may wan to go there and just read information in the various areas of the site.

If you have any more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you will enjoy many years with Ms. Sniffers.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Ann for your wonderful advise , appreciate it all. Yes Ms Sniffers is getting fed well. I give her green leaves of mustard and turnips nearly every day and few treats of nice fresh baby carrots 2/3 of them time to time.

For litter I am using Carefresh and for hay i am using Timothy but she is not very found of this hay but i still put it in her cage regardless. I also give her pellets but with the one with nuts and seeds in it , thank you for letting me know now I will just filter it only with pellets and give it to her.

also Ann wanted to ask , when she thumps the ground with her rare legs what does that mean ?? she does it around me often and then sometimes she will come to me and use her paws and like do a digging act ... what does that mean ?? is she asking for attention or wanting something ?? she is a funny bunny :)

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. You can save money on rabbit pellets and get a higher quality pellet by buying at a feed store instead of a pet store. Purina and Oxbow are good brands, but there are others, too.

Thumping with the back feet is a warning signal. Rabbits do it to warn other rabbits of danger or a threat. It is also used as a way to scare off predators. Either Ms. sniffers doesn't completely trust you yet, or she thinks you're going to take something that's hers, or she's trying to warn you of something. You may have to do some detective work to figure out exactly what is going on. The digging motion is most likely a way to seek attention.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well that is what I thought about her thumping on the ground.. but how weird that can be because she trusts me a lot to the extend that she will sit beside me and let me pat her for hours.. I think there is one thing she really dislikes and that is when I put her back in the cage . So may be she is just letting me know often that she doesn;t want to go in the cage lol I think .. because she has already built the relationship between me and her and I can tell by how she sits with me and jumps around me often.

Also she will be doing sitting in her cage as well.. and that is her territory so I can;t think why she would do it in the cage as well.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Yes, she is probably hoping that by thumping, she'll 'scare' you into letting her stay out, or into letting her out once she's in the cage. She's telling you she's not happy with the situation. She must be quite the character.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hannah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ms Sniffers. How is everything going?

Anna