Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Just wondering...Just wondering how I can get my 6 year old

Just wondering...
Just wondering how I can get my 6 year old and 8 year old bunnies to realize that there is a 3rd dimension. UP! I am in the process of building a 3 level bunny condo for them to share, but if they don't go to the other levels it will just seem like I am just confining them to a smaller space then they have. Currently they are sharing a 6 panel X-pen and I have rigged up a cardboard box w/3 openings and a ramp to get on top. To no avail. Then I tried putting some of their favorite treats on top. The 8 Y.O. figured out that if she kicked at the box the treats would slide off! (Smart but sassy bun!) I then affixed her treat bowl to the top of the box. No Luck! Then I tried her favorite toy along w/ treat bowl. Again, no luck! I also tried coaxing them up the ramp by using a treat. No luck once again! Open for any suggestions. Please help!
~Alan
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. I wish I could give you an easy way to teach your bunnies UP! Unfortunately, there isn't one. Rabbits are not like mice or rats in nature. They don't spend time at different levels. Sometimes they have burrows, but the borrows are not usually deep, and sometimes are simple hollowed out areas under a shrub. When rabbits are introduced to ramps and levels at a young age, the curiosity of youth causes them to explore. In those cases, they may adapt and learn to use different levels. At ages 6 and 8, it's highly unlikely that yours will like to climb on different levels. Pet stores have made these types of cages popular because they are appealing to we humans. They look fun and exciting. To a rabbit, they don't look so fun. I have been raising and showing rabbits for over 30 years, and I have never tried using levels or ramps. I'll explain why. Rabbits have very delicate spines. A fall or leap from a higher level can easily result in a twist, with a broken back. I would just let the rabbits have their x-pen, with toys to entertain them If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I believe you deserve an honest answer.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nancy (6) Sienna (8). How is everything going?

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for being honest with me. I wish more vets were like you and didn't care for so much money, and more about the pets welfare. Everything is going swimmingly! Just not so much in a rush to finish the condo. I have decided to modify the plans a bit and make this condo part of their x-pen
I am goi ng to leave it open so they have access to it. There is always a chance. Thanks again
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm glad to hear things are going well. Yes, you never know - one of them may get curious enough to try it.

Anna
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SomeBunny got up on the box last night! Don't know who because it happened while I was asleep but the treat bowl was empty!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
So curiosity got the better of one of them. The other one may follow (or maybe not). Maybe you'll have to spy on them.