Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

I just now ggave my Cavalier Spaniel 1 t of peroxide but has

I just now ggave my Cavalier Spaniel 1 t of peroxide but has not vomited yet. I aM 82 YRS OLD & AM A SEMI INVALID. nO WAY TO GET HER TO A VET. Anything else I can do??
Category: Pet
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me five minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

problem..my Cavelier spaniel ate a 50mg losartan pill. I gave her 1t o g peroxide with !t of milk hoping she will vomit. It;been about ten minutes ago. I am an invilid, cant get to a vet.

Hello again,

Here is my first answer please read it through and I will be back in ten minutes with some specific information about the meds she swallowed ...

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Hydrogen Peroxide { 3% hydrogen peroxide } given orally is a good way of inducing vomiting in dogs, giving a dose of one teaspoon per 10 pounds of your dog's body weight would be fine.

2. It could however take up to 20 minutes for this to work so you still have some time yet.

3. If your first attempt is not successful then you can safely try again one more time after 20 minutes have passed.

4. There are other means of making a dog vomit such as salt water or mustard and water but hydrogen peroxide is by far the best way and these other methods should only be used as a last resort.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again,

Your best options in this situation is to either trying to induce vomiting as you have been doing or to get your dog to an ER vet without delay which I know is a major problem for you ...

That said here is some further information ...

1. The danger here is that this drug will cause a significant drop in your dog's blood pressure.

2. Expected symptoms would include lethargy, drowsiness, incoordination and such { all as a result of low blood pressure } While there are no guarantees this is not likely to be life threatening in many cases as the drug will be metabolised and excreted naturally from your dog's body over the next 48 hours.

However this is an incident which should be treated seriously as some dogs will require supportive care in order to bring up their blood pressure back to safe levels.

Good luck,

Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Scott...I have never been so glad to see vomit!!! Is there anything else I should do?

Hello again,

Me too! Great to hear Laila has thrown up! :-)

If you managed to induce vomiting within the first hour following ingestion then in almost all cases things should be fine. Of course keep an eye on her just in case ...

Well done!

Kindest regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so very much
No problem Jo Ann,

Very glad to have advised you, I will be about on-line here for the next two or three hours so if you need further advice then please get straight back to me. But things should be fine now ...

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.