Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Hi,my pet hairless rar is developing yellow patches on his

Customer Question

my pet hairless rar is developing yellow patches on his skin..No smell, no crust, no flakes just yellow color
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Can you tell me how old is your cat?

Dr. Lee :

Also, where exactly are the hairless areas?

Dr. Lee :

And is the skin itself yellow color or is there something on top of the skin that is yellow?

Customer :

skin is yellow

Customer :

the yellow patches have suddenly appeared

Dr. Lee :

Thanks. And how old is your cat?

Dr. Lee :

And does he go outdoor?

Customer :

it is a hairless RAT

Dr. Lee :

I'm sorry. This was listed as a cat. Sorry. I do not have expertise in rats, so I will opt out for another vet to help.

Customer :

thanks

Customer :

well?

Customer :

please do not charge my credit card.

Dr. Lee :

Sorry, please be patient as there aren't a lot of vets that specialize in rats.

Customer :

i know.

Dr. Lee :

If you prefer, I can ask the admin to give you a refund.

Dr. Lee :

What you have paid thus far is a deposit only, which is refundable.

Customer :

please email the results to me XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX but I would prefer an answer.

Customer :

Thank you, Doctor

Dr. Lee :

Unfortunately they do no email answers. They will email you when an answer is available and you can come back here to view it. I will opt out now so another vet can help. If I continue this chat, other vets are locked out from this. Please simply wait for the new vet to reply.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m the moderator for this topic. I am sorry, but It seems that the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. ..or because they have to go off line for any number of reasons. But don’t worry….. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that it has taken so long for you to get an answer to your question. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question.Unfortunately, hairless rats are very prone to developing skin problems of all types. Fur on rats gives protection from dirt and bacteria, and the rat's own oils, which are meant to be spread through the fur. What you have described sounds like a case of the rat's own skin oils hardening. This can be the result of dry air.

No matter what is causing the problem, there are some steps you can take. Make sure you're not using a wood-based litter/bedding. these can be irritating to the skin. Use a paper-based bedding, such as CareFresh. It is recommended to bath hairless rats once a week, and to wash your own hands immediately each time before handling them. After a bath, dry your rat gently so he doesn't get chilled.

It may also help to run a humidifier or vaporizer in the room where your rat lives.

If the above measures don't help within a couple of weeks, you might want to consult a vet to make sure there isn't a fungal or bacterial skin infection. The following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password as well.

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

If you want to try an alternative treatment as well, buy some natural Vitamin E capsules. Prick one open with a pin, and squeeze the contents onto the skin. Massage it in gently.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be able to clear up your rat's skin.

Anna