Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

We just got a guinea pig a couple of weeks ago. she is only

We just got a guinea pig a couple of weeks ago. she is only 1. We noticed that she seems to be walking with her front feet curved under instead of flat footed. Almost like she's walking on her "wrists". Is that normal? She is eating and drinking without any problems and she's still pretty mobile. She just looks like she is having to take several more steps that our other guinea pig. We have a C&C cage so she has never used a cage with a wire bottom.

Do you know if Mohawk has been on a Vitamin C supplement?

Do you have her on a Vitamin C supplement now?

Does Mohawk get fresh fruits and veggies besides Hay and pellets?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have the Vitamin C tablets but she won't eat them. We are going to switch to the liquid Vitamin C to add to her water. We've only had her for 2 weeks. She eats Timothy Hay and a pellet mix that has some other tidbits in it but we haven't fed them any fresh fruit or veggies yet.

Thank-you for the information. One of the issues that may be going on is Mohawk is she may have the onset of Scurvy. This is some information about scurvy in Guinea Pigs: Scurvy is very common in Guinea pigs as they cannot manufacture Vitamin C in the body. This can cause paralysis or partial Paralysis (which could be the walking on her ankles) in Guinea Pigs and if there has not been Vitamin C in the diet. Scurvy can come on quickly. Mohawk needs food that are high in vitamin C to help with this problem we also usually supplement Vitamin C. This is a food chart that offers veggies that have vitamin C. and this chart that also gives calcium:
I would consider starting to give 1/4 of a 100 mg chewable vitamin C tablet and crush it in with the pellets and see if you can get it her to eat it . Do not put it in the water, since it can loose potency. If this is the onset of scurvy, the vitamin C will help. I do suggest a Vet visit with a Guinea Pig Vet asap to be checked out to properly diagnose him hands on.This is a link to locate Guinea Pig Vets: This is by State:

These are Rabbit Vets who will also treat Guinea Pigs:

Please let me know if you need further help by hitting reply. My goal is to give 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mohawk. How is everything going?