Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in emergency, surgery and medicine
14018973

My rabbit has a white spot in his eye white with like blood

My rabbit has a white spot in his eye white with like blood in it. looks like this

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh100/jiorji/Picture807683464.jpg

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Skippy. How long has this eye been like this? It is just the one eye correct? Is he squinting with that eye or having any discharge from it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it has been a few months, started as a red ring on his eyelids and then his pupil was dilated all the time and then he started the squinting, and then he developed this white cloudy mass on his eye. He does walk freely around the house. I found this picture on a website it looks like this http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh100/jiorji/Picture807683464.jpg.

He also eats timothy hay, carrots, romaine lettuce and rabbit food.

Ok. I saw that picture and if Skippy's eye looks similar to it, a corneal injury has to be the suspect situation. Basically I would be suspicious that something scratched his cornea on that eye and it caused an ulcer. The squinting indicated the discomfort from it. As this ulcer tries to heal on its own, there will be edema to the cornea due to scar tissue / inflammatory cells invading the cornea there. The red most likely is blood vessels growing across the cornea in response to the ulcer and that is how the body tries to heal itself. This is a situation where the best thing to have done is a veterinary exam to stain the eye to asses if there is an ulcer there. More than likely a course of topical antibiotics is needed to get this to heal. Ulcers can get deeper and portentously compromise the eye. Sometimes there can actually be foreign material in the eye initially causing it. At home, there isn't anything you can really do to help treat an ulcer unfortunately. Does this make sense? Please hit reply to let me know what is still not clear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Around how much will this comprehensive exam cost? And will he be to see.

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Every clinic has a different office exam fee. You can call the ones around you to see what this would be. A typical office exam fee may be from $35 to $90 depending on your location. There most likely would be a charge for staining the eye and in my practice this is an additional $25 as it requires the stain and a special light that must be maintained. The topical antibiotic needed would most likely be an additional $25 to $35. He should be able to see if this doesn't get worse. So the sooner he's seen, the better.
Hi Veronica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Skippy. How is everything going?