Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

I received two hamsters from a friend, one male and one female,

I received two hamsters from a friend, one male and one female, before I could separate the two the female had become pregnant. The two parents were brother and sister; I don't know if that is of significance. The babies are now about five weeks old and one of them is having trouble passing waste. His feces is crusting and causing a slight protrusion of the anus. I first noticed the problem two days ago and I used warm water to moisten and remove the waste and the following day he was fine. Today I checked on him again and his feces was again stuck and I used the same method to remove it. After I removed the blockage the first time normal waste began to pass right after, but the second time a pasty gray waste and then normal waste proceeded. The area is inflamed and extremely stretched. Should I use antiseptic of some type on the area? He licks the area a lot and I don't know if I should allow him to do that. I don't know what to do. Should I take him to a vet? Is he sick?

Have you separated the babies into girls and boys?

What type of diet are you feeding the hamster?

Are any of the other babies having problems?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not separated the babies yet because I did not think they were old enough; their eyes aren't open yet. The food is sold by weight so I am not sure what brand it is but it consists of oats, seeds, dried fruits and vegetables and assorted dry food pieces. I also give the older hamsters boiled eggs and noodles so the babies do have access to them. The other babies appear to be healthy.

The Pups eyes should be open by 14 days of age and they can breed as early as 4 weeks of age. They should be removed from mom between 21-28 days. If they are close to 5 weeks of age, You really need to get the hamsters into a Rodent or exotic Vet to be checked out, because something is wrong with their developement. you can read more about that here: This may be a result of the inbreeding between the sister and brother as parents. As far as the little one who is having the problem with the stools, this also may be a result of the inbreeding. The grey stools are not normal and this may be a problem with the digetive system. I am going to give you a link for Vets that can treat hamsters: or these are Rat Vets that treat all rodents: please put the word member in each blank:

I would have the Pups seen asa soon as possible because it seems there is a problem with thier developement. Joan