Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in emergency, surgery and medicine
14018973

i accidently asked a dog expert a ferret question. please

i accidently asked a dog expert a ferret question. please forward the question to a vet that knows about ferrets. thank you and i'm sorry for the confusion

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm sorry to hear about Micah's sitaution. Is he on the Prednisolone for a possible insulin tumor treatment or lymphoma treatment? Since giving the prednisolone, have you gotten him to eat anything?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes he has eaten a little bit and he peed a little bit. i gave him something to warm up in and he's curled up in that. he has a little bit more energy. the meds are for an insulin tumor treatment. . his initial number was 26 when the vet checked it. thank you dr bruce.

lori

Thanks for that information. Missing one dose can let the blood sugar levels go down. That combined with maybe not eating as much or playing harder or the tumor releasing more insulin can all play a part of a hypoglycemic event with the insulinoma situations. That is good that you got his dose into him and it will be even better if you can get him to eat something. If he's not wanting to eat and still weak, you can give him some karo syrup on his gums to help bring up his glucose levels. I would get him back on his regular schedule of the prednisolone. I would let him rest tonight and hopefully all this will get him back to doing as well as he was prior to today. Here is a very, very good link on the insulinomas in ferrets.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2427
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you , like i said he did eat a little bit. so i will make sure i never miss another dose. thank you very much dr bruce.!!!!! i'm a happy camper now.

I'm glad to help out here tonight. Thank you for the very kind accept. I'm hoping for the best for Micha. It is good that he's ate a little and you got the dose in him. Hopefully he'll be warm in that spot and rest here now.