Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I asked this question to another expert and as I trust his

Customer Question

I asked this question to another expert and as I trust his opinion I still wanted to get a second opinion. My cat got outside and I heard an awful squealing noise so I ran outside. She had a baby bunny in her mouth. I yelled at her and she dropped it. I picked up the scared little bunny and brought it inside and put in the bathtub with some food and water. It is bleeding a little bit and my husband has now convinced me that I am going to get rabies or something horrible. What do I do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

Rabies is transmitted through saliva into an open wound or bite. It is highly doubtful the Baby Rabbit would have Rabies. Most likely it wandered away from its nest, or the cat caught it in some bushes hiding. The big issue is this Rabbit needs to get immediate medical attention from a Wildlife Rehabilitator. Cat's saliva carries a lot of bacteria that can kill a rabbit or other small animals very rapidly. If the Rabbit does not get help you most likely will loose it. The wild rabbits do not eat the same foods you would feed a house rabbit. This is some information on wild Rabbit babies:

These links will help you find Rehabber for the baby Rabbit:

If you cannot find a Rehabber, I suggest calling the local Animal Care and Control where you live to see if they can get it some help. Please let me know if you need further help. My goal is 100% Excellent Service. joan

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry but I wasn't online last night when you asked me for a second opinion about rabies and the little bunny you saved.

I agree with Joan and with the other expert with whom you communicated....rabies is transmitted in the saliva of an infected animal and it is highly, highly doubtful that this bunny had rabies. You should have nothing to worry about from this concern.

I also agree with Joan that raising a wild baby bunny is very different than raising domesticated rabbits. It would be best if you could find someone with experience to help you with this, especially since it sounds like the bunny is injured.

If you decide to rate, you should rate Joan, rather than me, since she provided the relevant information which I just confirmed.

I wish you the best with this little one; I hope it will survive. You were very kind hearted to rescue it. Deb