Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

Hello,I was hoping you could help me with a problem with

Hello, I was hoping you could help me with a problem with one of our Gerbils. She appears to have a chest infection (we can hear clicking from her chest at the appropriate rate). Would you be able to advise what sort of antibiotic she would require and the dosage. Last time we weighed her she was ~90g. We are taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow but previous experience with the vet he is not too experienced with small animals (even by his own admission). Thank you very much for your help, XXX ([email protected])

What type of bedding are you using?

Do you have a Vet that is familiar with rodents? I can give you a list.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bedding is the same as this one:

The sawdust we use is one with bigger bits, a while ago we had a type of sawdust which was finer but we thought the gerbils weren't reacting nicely to it.

I believe the veterinary practice we take her to is the only one nearby that is listed as dealing with small animals, we live in XXXXXX, UK.

We are mainly concerned that the vet will not perscribe the correct antibiotics or dosage.

Many thanks,

Hello XXX,

I am going to give you some information to help XXXXXXX. The fisrt thing you will want to do is take her into a steamy bathroom for about 10 mins. This will help open the sinus passages and help with her breathing. Next when she is in her enclosure you can place a warm rice sock wrapped in a towel for her to help keep her warm. You can make this by placing uncooked rice in a sock, tieing it off and warming in the microwave. It will be hot, so making sure it is well wrapped in a towel and not too hot is important. You can feed her some small amounts of Dioralyte and water via dropper so she does not dehydrate. Since you are using wood beeding they can cause respiratory issues (Pine and Cedar are toxic), so I would change to a recyled paper bedding like yesterdays news or care fresh bedding. This is a link for Gerbil safe medications and how to administer them: you can print it out for the Vet. I am also including Vets that treat Rodents in the UK: / or this link has multiple Vets:

Please let me know if you need more help or I can answer further questions for you. My Goal is to give you 100% Excllent Service. Joan

Hi XXX, I'm just following up on our conversation about XXXXXXX. How is everything going? Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joan,

Thank you for your help.

We did the steamy bathroom trick which seemed to make her a bit more comfortable. She made it through the night and we got some antibiotics the next day. She started recovering quick and now our little gerbil is pretty much fighting fit again.

Thank you very much!

Glad I was of help! Please keep me in mind for any future issues. Joan