Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

my hamster has a abscess on his leg. What antibiotic do you

my hamster has a abscess on his leg. What antibiotic do you recomed?

I'm sorry to hear your hamster is having this problem. There is something else you can do to encourage the abscess to drain. Soak a cloth in very warm water. Wring it out, then hold it on the abscess for about five minutes. Do this two or three times a day. This may cause it to drain. After each soak, you can clean it with Betadine (available in first aid departments of pharmacies and discount stores), and then put a little of the antibiotic ointment on it twice a day while it heals. Don't try to lance it or cut it - that will only drive the infection deeper. If it doesn't start draining within a few days, you should make an appointment with a vet to have it taken care of. If you end up needing a vet, the following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password XXXXX well.

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

As far as antibiotics go, the ones sold in pet stores are useless. They are old types that most bacteria are resistant to. Their ineffectiveness is why they're available over-the-counter. If you do need a systemic antibiotic, a vet can prescribe a safe, effective one, such as Baytril.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope the warm compresses will cause the abscess to drain.

Anna

Please be sure to rate only SMILEY FACES to complete this transaction, or, if you need more help, click on REPLY and let me know what else you need. Thank you.