Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Can I give my dog Zentel worm tablets (200 mg.) and if so,

Can I give my dog Zentel worm tablets (200 mg.) and if so, how many tablets should I give her. I usually give her Endovet Ces tablets, but they are out of stock.

She is a mixed terrier, approx. 5 yrs. old.

Thank you.
Thank you for your question.

Zentel is a wormer called albendazole and can be used in dogs. It does cover against roundworms, tapeworms and can be used in cases of Giardia. When used, we tend to use this at a dose of 25 mg per kilogram of body weight by mouth (12.5mg per pound of body weight). One 200mg tablet would be appropriate for an 8kg (17.6 lb) dog.

Just to note, the side effects we can see in dogs include GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), and in some cases effects on the white and red blood cells.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer, so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied with my help (not necessarily the disease you pet has or the website), please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.