My 8 year old male cat often regurgitates after eating too quickly, so when he threw up earlier I thought that was all it was. He is still crying and acting like his stomach is hurting. Is there anything I can give him today to ease his pain?
Pet's Gender: Male
Pet's Age: 8
Type of Animal: Cat
Name of Animal: Pete
I've removed his food, and given him water. I've watched him but left him alone and separated my 10-month old kitten from him.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.When did he last pass stool and was it normal?What color are his gums?Do you know if he has urinated today?Any recent change in diet?Any chance he got into anything toxic?
He has urinated today. It is unlikely he got into anything toxic, because of the cats I try to keep cleaners and things locked away. I changed his brand about two months ago, and within the last two weeks changed to an oral hygiene formula within that brand because the pieces were bigger and I hoped that would make him eat slower. I haven't noticed a change in his gums. He has passed stool since this episode began and it appears normal.
Thank you for the additional information.I am happy to hear he has urinated that was my biggest concern with a male cat.As long as he is urinating and passing stool then you can try to treat this at home.I would suggest giving Pepcid AC to help calm the stomach . This is dosed at 1/4 of 10mg tablet every 12 hours. I would then with hold all food for the next 6-12 hours.After the fast you can try feeding a bland diet like some boiled chicken or chicken baby food just be sure there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients.I would keep a close eye on him tonight . if you notice any problems urinating or the vomiting continues I would suggest having him seen tonight at your local animal emergency. If he is regularly vomiting when eating to fast I would suggest getting one of the bowls designed to slow eating. Click here for some examples. In cats dental disease is often a cause of vomiting as it prevents them from chewing properly. If the occasional vomiting continues I would suggest a full exam and some blood work by your regular vet.I hope this helps. I will be on most of the evening if any additional problems develop please feel free to come back to this thread and I will be happy to help. Please reply back if you have additional questionsCandy
Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer