Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

The nipples of my female 2 year old Guinea Pig have become

The nipples of my female 2 year old Guinea Pig have become somewhat inflated lately. There seems to be a rough and tough tissue forming around the nipple, what can it be? Do we need to worry about it?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose your Guinea Pig's problem via the internet I can make the following general comments based on my experience of similar cases over the years :

This is something you see now and then and in almost all cases it is nothing to worry about and is a natural change which some female guinea pigs get as they get older.

The best thing to do in this situation is just to observe your pet but if you see further changes in the area or become further concerned you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick and somewhat reliefing response.

The other thing we see quite frequently in our Guinea Pigs' cage is red bloody spots. We have 3 pigs and used to get so worried before when we saw them, find out which one it is, and take her to the vet. The bloody discharges are always from the rear end. The vet usually couldn't determine what it is and prescribed antibiotics to be on the safe side. We stopped taking them to the vet everytime we see a bloody discharge as they don't seem to be disgnosable and the pigs do just fine and the blood usually goes away after a day or two. Most of the time the source of the bloody discharges is the pig that has enlarged nipples. My wife read something on the internet about ovarian cysts in guinea pigs and their effect on nipples. We thought there may be a connection between frequent bloody discharges, nipples getting large, and ovarian cyst! Any ideas on that?
Thanks for the quick reply.

1. As long as your guinea pigs are acting normally and appears healthy you would have little to worry about if you see a red colour in their urine, this is almost always caused by natural red dyes in their food. I have been asked about this by clients at my clinic many times in the past and this was almost always the explanation. This red colour can sometimes be like blood and can stain their back ends.

2. But : There are however diseases which would cause blood in the urine such as urinary tract infections but in these cases your pet would be having pain and discomfort on urination and would be trying to urinate for prolonged periods of time and would be obviously otherwise unwell. It was wise of your vet to give antibiotic cover just in case to exclude this possibility.

3. As to the ovarian cyst connection, well of course this is possible but statistically very unlikely indeed.