Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

How much acetaminophen is toxic or fatal in dogs? My 44 pound

How much acetaminophen is toxic or fatal in dogs? My 44 pound Shetland Sheepdog sucked two 500 mg pills off the floor. Info I've seen online is inconsistent.

The toxic dose of Tylenol is > 100 mg per kg. That would be 2000 mg in your 20 kg (44 lb) dog.

If you want to induce vomiting, you can give 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally. That would be a good idea to get some out. If you don't have any peroxide on hand, then I wouldn't worry about this one time ingestion too much.

If it was in the toxic range, I would have you vomit him and then go get activated charcoal and IV fluids from your vet. Usually we keep them on fluids for 24 hours while monitoring liver enzymes. Not likely needed here, but something to be aware of.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.