Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I have one cat which has feline leukemia and want to bring

I have one cat which has feline leukemia and want to bring a new cat into our home. If I have the new cat, which is healthy, vaccinated against Feline Leukemia before introducing him then is it OK for them to live together and share the house normally? What is the percentage risk of the healthy cat developing the disease? Can you give me a ballpark figure off the record, please!!!! Thank you.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.

Drew :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

I've changed your question into the "cat" category.

Customer:

Can you please answer my question?

Customer:

Can you please answer my questoin

Drew :

I'm trying to type a response to you right now, please give me a minute....

Drew :

The vaccine for feline leukemia is very effective, when given in accordance with labeled directions, and kept up with on an annual basis...

Drew :

therefore, if the new cat has indeed been fully vaccinated, the risk is very low -- I'd say less than 5% -- of Leukemia being transmitted.

Customer:

We are thinking about getting a dog, but really are used to cats. So do you think our chances are good that

Customer:

Can we get the protective vaccine once before bringing him home, or will we have to keep him

Customer:

10:16 PM

separated for a time period in which several vaccines are administered?

Drew :

The vaccine is administered as a series of two, initially 3 weeks apart, then annually.

Customer:

How long should we separate the two cats so that the vaccine process can take affect and our

Drew :

I would advise not bringing him home until 10 days after the second vaccine is given.

Drew :

If you wish to maintain the safest approach.

Customer:

OK got it. Thanks for the info. One more question, I live in Japan and just want

Drew :

leukemia can be transmitted through the air if there's sneezing, coughing, etc -- so even being in a different room, there is still a small risk to an unvaccinated cat.

Customer:

OK got it. Thanks for the info. One more question, I live in Japan and just want to know what the name of the most affective vaccine is. Thanks again.

Drew :

The most popular vaccine for cats is the Merial brand. However, it's most popular due to the claimed safety, rather than any additional effectiveness.

Customer:

OK Drew. Many thanks.