Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

tree squirell as pet (live

i have a tree squirell as pet (live in South Africa) Paraxerus cepapi and i want to know what gender it is, since it is still young i hve difficulty in spotting it's gender. Cn you help? If you have photo,s to see the difference if would really help me.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry no one has gotten back to you earlier. Different experts are on at different times. Your question was just transfer into the pet category.

When you flip them over and look at the underside in many cases you can tell just by the space between the genitals and the anus.in males the distance between the two is noticeably greater ( about 1cm) then the females whos vulva and anus will be closer together.

Below you will find a video that show good pictures of the male and femal and should be helpful.

Click here for a video on how to tell the difference in the sexes of baby squirels

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions
Candy