Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc.
9138059

My hamster is not moving her breathing is slow and she is very

Customer Question

My hamster is not moving her breathing is slow and she is very cold! she is just over two years old, she is also wet along the underside of her body and doesn't seem to be drinking or eating
Category: Pet
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 2 year old hamster, Buffy who is very lethargic and cold with a wet tail. It really doesn't sound as though she is in a very good way and I really would encourage you to get her seen asap by your local Vet. Hamsters in this condition can quickly take a turn for the worst without quick treatment and can often pass away at home.

Even as it is, this little girl's prognosis isn't too good. From what you have described, it is most likely she has a condition called wet tail - although it sounds as though this condition may have been present for a little while and may now have cause systemic (body wide) infection. Wet tail is a gastrointestinal infection and can occur for a number of reasons, but usually starting from a stress of some sort (change in diet, weather etc). It is likely she will need to be syringe fed and warmed up at the Vets. Please get her seen asap!! This really is important if she has slow breathing and is cold. Try and warm her up right away if you can.

I hope this has been helpful and please be sure to reply if you have any further questions or concerns. You can either reply to this post or ask via my profile HERE.

Thanks and please now click ACCEPT

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards, BVSc MRVCS

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the “ACCEPT” button now if you are satisfied with my answer. Bonuses and positive feedback are always welcome and very much appreciated.

Your ‘accepting’ the answer is necessary for me to be able to receive credit for helping you.

If you have any further questions in the future, please be sure to contact me directly via my profile HERE.