Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  Enjoys Surgery, Internal medicine, and Dermatology.

bichon: My 9 year..bowel movement..him antibiotics and anti worm meds

My 9 year old bichon has a prolapsed rectum making it very difficult for him to have a bowel movement. I've already taken him to the vet's and they gave him antibiotics and anti worm meds. It seemed to work for a while but it's come back again making him very uncomfortable. Any suggestions that I could do for him?

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is he still straining to have a bowel movement?

Is he having diarrhea, normal stools, or hard stools?

When you took him to the vet, did the put the prolapsed material back into the rectum and place sutures so it would not come back out again?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr. Gabby,

Yes he is straining with not much result. He goes frequently sometimes not much is eliminated. It is formed not diarrhea. The only thing the doctor did was to push it manually back with some sugar on her hand. Medicine was also given to him.

If he has prolapsed again, he needs to go back to the vet. If that rectal tissue stays out too long, it will dry out and then it will have to be surgically removed.

When you take him to the vet, they will put him under anesthesia, then put the rectal tissue back into the rectum. Then a loose suture will be placed around the rectum so the rectal tissue can not come back out. The vet will leave the sutures in for at least a few days depending on the severity of the prolapse. He will be put on stool softeners so his stool can pass through the rectum without causing him to strain.

Then you and your vet need to discuss his diet so that he stools become normal. At least for a time. There are diets that produce less stool so there will be less to come out. They are called "low residue." That may be a good option for now. He could stay on that diet if needed. If he keeps getting constipated, he can stay on a stool softener, long term, so he does not prolapse his rectum again.