Theresa
Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience:  Veterinary Technician for 15 years
1484153

My 5 yr old female guinea pig had an abscess removal surgery

Customer Question

My 5 yr old female guinea pig had an abscess removal surgery from her jaw 2 weeks ago, she has meloxicam, metronidazole & reglan medications. She is getting better, but still has a lump - caused by the root of the tooth, I still need to hand feed oxbow 3 times a day, she can now eat hay & vegetables, but not pellets (doctor says it's because of its jaw is abnormal). But this week I noticed her urine is first browndish, and redish this couple of days, seems no pain when peeing (might make some noise, but not squeaking), but her bottom is always wet & smelly. I am afraid it's UTI & called the doctor, she said it could be the pigments in urine, UTI won't develop when the pig is on antibotics & she will have a lot of pain when peeing & won't eat & move. Is that true? I have already spent $1k on the surgery already, is it something that I should worry about?  Also, what food is best for her?  She is not eating pellets.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Theresa replied 2 years ago.
A urinary tract infection can develop while she is on antibiotics if it is a resistant bacteria. Guinea pigs are also susceptible to bladder stones as well. However, your vet is correct that pigmentation can and does occur in guinea pigs. This is called plant pigmention and can be seen if she eats carrots, red lettuce, or other vegetables. It may be that you are noticing this more because you are focusing on her more and are more aware of what is going on now that she needing treatment.

The urine can appear darker if she is a little dehydrated. Make sure that she is drinking. If you are using a bottle it may still hurt her to drink so offer her a larger salad daily to help reverse this.

Antibiotics can also increase the pigment in the urine.

As long as she continues to eat and drink or is at least eating hay and salads then I woudn't worry too much about the urine. If she stops producing urine or she is painful to touch around her belly then I would take her in to be reevaluated and have an xray done to rule out stones in her bladder. Also, pellets aren't so important as long as she is eating her veggies and hay. I have also taken the oxbow critical care and made it with less water but soft enough to roll into tiny balls for my piggy to eat when he went off of his other food in the past and it worked out great.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she doesn't drink water from the bottle, i feed her 3 baby carrots, 1 slice of green bell pepper, 1 brocolli stalk, some parsley everyday, but her poop is really soft, if i cut down on the salad, then she will be very hungry since she doesnt eat pellets & actually not that interested in oxbow critical care. What should i do? can i give her cranberry? like 1 a day?
Expert:  Theresa replied 2 years ago.
I don't recommend cutting down on her salads. I do recommend increasing her dark greens like romaine, boston lettuce, red leaf lettuce, and spring lettuce. Give kale sparingly. Her salads are very important for her right now and in the future. Cranberry is not necessary as the contain a lot of sugar. Carrots also contain a lot of sugar and should be given sparingly as well. It is likely the change of diet, critical care, and antibiotics that has changed the pigment in her urine. Timothy hay should be given in a never ending supply. Decrease the amount of water in your syringe feeding to make it a thicker consistency and try making those into little balls for her to eat on her own in addition to your feedings. Make sure she has a ceramic bowl of water available to her that she
cannot tip over.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Theresa