Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)

My 5yr old lab had a siezure on friday 8/19 at 120am, I took

My 5yr old lab had a siezure on friday 8/19 at 120am, I took her to the emergency vet and they did some test and said everything was normal so she most likley has epilepsy. They did not put her on meds at that time but did give her some val. that night. That sunday she had two more, one shortly after 1 am and another around 3 am I took her back to the vet and they put her on keppra 750mg. My dog has not been the same since right before her first siezure, she is real lethargic most of the time and the just walks around the house with her head down,tail between her legs and very unstable on her feet. She will stop and stare off into space but comes to me when I call her, shes eating and going to bathroom but is so slow and almost drunk looking. I get off work at midnight and that seems to be when she is at her worst. It scares me when she just walks around dazed looking, I got a vet appt on fri at 2 but was just wondering if the way she acting a type of siezure and do I need to give her th 5cc of val the vet gave me or is it from the keppra? Any help would be great

Can I ask you some questions first

1. Her changed demeanour started before the first seizure. Did it worsen after the seizure? Did it worsen after the keppra?
  2. How often is she given the kepra?
  3. Does she still recognise you, your commands (sit, come, etc)? Does she wag her tail? Is she keen to go for a walk still? Gets excited at dinner time?
  4. Is her sight okay? Not bumping into objects?

Thanks, Peter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
demeanour changed after her first siezure, its like she never recoverd that sat or sunday leading up to the other two. I dont think the keppra made it worse but not 100% sure. She takes 3/4 of a 750mg tablet every 8 hrs. she still recognises me she will walk up and lay at my feet or put her head on me. She does not obey commands very well now,and she does not get excited like she used to to go out. She just mopes up to me when I go to the door.At dinner time she will walk in and watch me get it ready but she's not all excited about it like she used to be. She does bump into things and will walk off to a corner and just stare with her head down,I have not seen her wag her tail since her first siezure. I think her sight is ok, she is just so off balance, cant hardly stand on tile floor

Hi again

Thanks for the follow-up.

Keppra is a good medication for seizure control in dogs. It’s fairly side effect free although there can sometime be slight lethargy early in the treatment. However Puppy’s signs appear not to be related to that in that she has had this right from the start. Her dose of keppra is not high.

Provided we can rule out medical or external causes (the blood tests) seizures in middle aged dogs are almost always caused by idiopathic epilepsy and that is what the vet has diagnosed. My treatment regime is pretty well exactly what this vet has done. I will often not treat a single short seizure as in many cases in an epileptic dog the seizures will be few and far between. However there is a tendency for seizures to occur in clusters. This is because each time a dog has a seizure the brain “threshold” is altered and that makes the dog more prone to another seizure. In time the threshold returns to its normal level and if we can get the dog through that period she may then be okay for some time. So it may well be that your vet might decide to stop the medication after the review appointment anyway.

Epileptic seizures are generally typified by a post seizure phase where the patient seems to experience some disorientation and even blindness. That stage can last for as little as several minutes or for up to a day. Much of what you describe fits with that although it is lasting longer than we normally expect but in some cases we see that. Importantly she is still responsive, recognises you, etc.

It sounds to me as though there may still be some sight problems….staring into corners and bumping into objects. You need to mention this to your vet who can check for obvious signs of blindness.

Now I need to mention that although it’s a very outside chance, brain tumours can cause this but if that’s the case we won’t see a gradual improvement so we need to allow some time here

Concerning as this might be for you I think you’ve just got to wait longer. There is nothing more that can be done at this stage. Definitely don’t give her more Valium. There is no need for that as the seizures are controlled. These signs are not a form of seizure…just I think the post-seizure state. Valium is more likely to cause disorientation signs in a dog than Keppra.

I hope I’ve been of help. Please contact me back if I can assist further.

Kindest regards, Peter