Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

how do i get rid of snails out of a tropical fish tank,i got

how do i get rid of snails out of a tropical fish tank,i got 2 clown fish suppost to eat them,
as tried snail away but they keep coming back.please help
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

How big are the snails?

How many do you have?

Are they causing any problems?

Do you have live plants in the tank?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
snails are babies, 20 a day keep scooping them out,yes unsightly,yes have live plants.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. You will probably never be able to get rid of all the snails unless you take a drastic measure. That would be to completely empty and dry the tank. get rid of the gravel, the plants, the heater, the filter, everything. Then start over from scratch. This could create an even bigger problem - the new set up will have to cycle, and you could well lose some fish.

The clown loaches do tend to eat snails, but they apparently can't keep up with the snail's reproduction rate. The chemicals that kill snails are also harmful to fish. Adding aquarium salt to the water is supposed to kill snails, but the small ones such as you have can tolerate quite a bit of salt. I'm afraid there is no perfect solution, and all you can do is try to keep them under control. An easier way to catch them is to take a small glass jar, such as a clean salt shaker. Put some pieces of lettuce in the bottom, then fill it with water from the aquarium. Being careful not to disturb the water/lettuce in it, lower it to the bottom of the tank and leave it there. The lettuce will be attractive to snails, and in the morning you can get rid of those in the jar, then bait it again. You can also find a way to clip a lettuce leaf to the tank so it stays put at the top or side. Leave it over night, and remove it and the snails in the morning. Here's a site where you can read more about snail control:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/snailsandworms/a/killingsnals.htm

Snails can hide and reproduce in so many tiny spaces that it is impossible to be rid of them all. Whenever we use live plants, some snails have almost always hitchhiked in on them. The snails don't hurt anything, but as you said, they can be unsightly. I know this isn't the answer you hoped for, but I felt you deserved honesty. I've battled these little snails in my own tank for years. If you have more questions, let em know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.