Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My guinea pigs eye is matted shut. He is eating and drinking,

Customer Question

My guinea pig's eye is matted shut. He is eating and drinking, and has no other symptoms...what should I do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Check under Ringo's chin and around his mouth. Is the fur there damp or matted?

Do you see any swelling on his head or face?

Is his appetite as good as it has always been?

Has he lost any weight?

What kind of litter/bedding do you use?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No dampness or matting around his mouth, I am using pine bedding, his appetite his great, but I've only had him a a lil over a week so I can't say its as good as its always been. And no lumps or bumps on his head.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. is not a good bedding. I realize that pet stores recommend it because it keeps odors down, but it has been solidly linked to a number of health problems. Most of these health conditions don't show up right away, but take months to develop. The occur in all small a mammals, including guinea pigs, rabbits, gerbils, hamsters, and rats and mice. Kidney failure, liver disease, and tumors are some of the possibilities. Animals kept on pine and cedar will seem fine for a length of time, but by the time these problems develop, it is usually too late to treat them.Guinea pigs that are particularly sensitive may develop eye and skin irritations and fur loss, and respiratory problems. The following links will give you more details on the cedar and pine problems:

The best litters/beddings are paper-based ones, such as CareFresh.

Next, gently clean the eye with a warm wet cloth. Then buy some preservative-free saline solution (the kind made for contact lenses). Put a couple of drops in the eye several times a day. If these two measures don't help within a couple of days, there is something wrong that will require a vet's help. This link will take you to a directory of guinea pig/rabbit vets:

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope the eye will clear up quickly.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)