Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior

Our Golden Hamster is about two months old. She is acting

Our Golden Hamster is about two months old. She is acting normal in all ways - eats, drinks and is very active. However, as she's grown she has developed a very large bulge behind her back legs, around her anus. It doesn't seem to bother her and I've never had a hamster before so I don't know if it is normal. The only thing that's a bit odd with her is that I very rarely find droppings in the cage (where she spends most of her time) but when she's taken out she the droppings just don't stop. In just 10 minutes of playing with her or letting her run around I'll pick up 20 or so droppings. They're normal though, not dry or watery. Any thoughts? Thank you-
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

From your description, it's possible that Pirate Polly is really Pirate 'Pete' and you have a male hamster, not a female. The bulge you're seeing behind the back legs may be a scrotal sac containing testicles. It's difficult to tell the gender of baby hamsters initially, so you might have been told her sex incorrectly. Here is a helpful way to tell whether you have a male or female hamster:

If you feel she is not defecating as she should, in her cage, but is holding it in until you remove her from the cage, the bulge you see may be accumulated stool, especially if you notice that this 'bulge' disappears or is reduced in size, after she defecates. If she her droppings are normal, as you described, that's great, but you can watch for signs of constipation, which could include the appearance of the bulge you mentioned:

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It never occurred to me that we might have a Pirate Pete instead! From pictures on the internet it would seem this is exactly the case. Thank you for putting our minds at kids will be glad to know all is well - just, um, different.
Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks very much for your reply, accept, and most generous bonus!

I'm glad I could put your minds at ease, and now you'll just need to decorate your hamster's cage in 'blue'! : )

Best regards,