Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

How do I get my two male rabbits to stop fighting Neither

How do I get my two male rabbits to stop fighting? Neither has been neutered. The newer one wanted to be nice, but the older one won't stop antagonizing him. After a couple of scraps, now the new one won't back down either and it gets pretty scary. I tried to put them together for short periods of time every day, but they don't seem to be letting up. I must tell you that I also have a female who has been spayed so she has no interest in either of them romantically. She lives with the older one but only for the companionship. And she is the queen bitch. She seems to act like she's the mommy. But it seems like she instigates her friend to pick on the newbie.
I have been told that the only chance we have is if we have the 2 males neutered but it's expensive.
My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with your question about your rabbits. Please let me start by saying how sorry I am that you are facing this frustrating problem. I know what it's like to wish that everyone could simply just get along.

Unfortunately, it is very, very normal for un-neutered male rabbits to fight when housed together, particularly if they are housed in the presence of a female.

Because this is normal behavior, your rabbits will continue to do it as long as they have the opportunity. Therefore, the only way to stop it is to make sure they don't have the opportunity to fight.

You must keep them physically separated at all times in order to stop the fighting.

Having them neutered will help, over time, but it's not a guarantee. You are, however, pretty much guaranteed that the fighting will certainly continue if they are not neutered and are allowed access to each other.

I'm sorry that there isn't an easier, less expensive, or more practical answer for you, but this is the truth.

Please remember that you can always post more to this thread by clicking REPLY, even after you've clicked ACCEPT. I'm happy to help!

Thanks for using Just Answer!