Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

how do i dose down a 250mg fish mox capsule for pets (cats

Customer Question

how do i dose down a 250mg fish mox capsule for pets (cats and dogs), is there a conversion chart and instuctions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose your pet's conditions over the internet or encourage you to self treat your pets I can tell you the following for your information and education only :

In direct answer to your question : Amoxycillin is a commonly used antibiotic for dogs and cats. On the assumption that mox capsule your refer to contains 250 mg of Amoxycillin here is some information.

I personally would use an oral dose rate in the region of 10 mg per pound of your dog or cat's bodyweight twice a day for five days. Information regarding the use of amoxycillin in dogs and cats is freely available on the internet and one such site which I take to be very accurate can be seen HERE

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i measure 10mg and how much liquid would i use in order to dose correctly?
Hello again,

Well if the dog is ten pounds in weight then you would give 10 x 10 mg = 100 mg. All you can { hypothetically } do is to roughly divide the 250mg capsule, in this case a little less than half. These drugs have a very high margin of safety so a little more or a little less would not be critical.

If you are going to dissolve the drug in water before administration then the amount of water would again not be critical as long as the animal did receive the correct amount of antibiotic.

While I am aware that fish antibiotics are used in dogs and even people, you can see this HERE. Common sense dictates that such drugs are best prescribed by your vet.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, but i already found an answer from another site
No problem, thanks for letting me know. If I can help you further please look back.

Regards,

Scott