Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

dogs tummy is making squeaky noises

dogs tummy is making squeaky noises
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K :

Dr. K :

Can you describe these "squeaky noises" a little more for me?

Dr. K :

When did they begin?

Dr. K :

Are they occurring all of the time?

Dr. K :

Why is she now on a homemade diet?

Customer :

as far as i know they just started about an hour ago...she has been right next to me so i think id be aware.

Customer :

rumbling and squeaking

Customer :

they seem to have stopped right now

Customer :

im sick and ran out of dog food...she is eating amix of canned turkey, canned tomatoes, rice, and a little mozzarella cheese

Customer :

she doesnt seem to be too uncomfortable...no vomiting or diarrhea

Dr. K :

If you suddenly switched off of her commercial dog food and started this homemade diet, that can cause digestive upset...This, in turn, could lead to hearing loud digestive noises (which is what it sounds like you are describing).

Dr. K :

I do not recommend that you continue with mozzarella cheese.

Customer :

i thought it might be

Dr. K :

Most dogs are lactose intolerant...so, this is not a good nutritional source for them.

Customer :

ok it was only about a tablespoon to 1 1/2-2 cups of food. wuill dc it

Customer :

will*

Customer :

i see...ok

Dr. K :

It would be better for you to use the turkey, rice a less acidic vegetable source...such as green beans....and to supplement with a vitamin supplement for dogs (like Pet Tabs).

Dr. K :

This, could end up being more expensive than the commerical dog food in the long run.

Dr. K :

Also, you should use fresh meat that has been boiled....not canned turkey.

Dr. K :

Canned meats for human consumption tend to be high in salt.

Customer :

do you think as long as no vomitting/diarrhea, obvious pain its ok to wait a while?

Dr. K :

To switch back to a commerical food?

Customer :

yes i know...this is temporary...only because im ill myself and too weak to get out

Dr. K :

If you are not going to supplement with a dog vitamin supplement...then I would not wait too long. Most home cooked diets are nutritionally imbalanced for dogs.

Dr. K :

There are many services that will deliver dog food right to your door...

Dr. K :

Do you think it would be possible to have a neighbor or friend pick some up for you?

Customer :

no to take to vet

Dr. K :

Pardon?

Dr. K :

I do not understand what you meant by "no to take to vet."

Customer :

you asked if i meant ok to wait...i assumed you meant to change back to commercial food. i was worried if i could wait to take to vet

Dr. K :

Why would you need to go to a vet?

Dr. K :

If she is not having any vomiting or diarrhea, then she does not need to see a vet...just for the digestive noises....

Dr. K :

If you can get her regular commercial food again....then you should slowly switch back to it....

Customer :

i was worried it might be serious. you think its just the diet?

Customer :

isee your asnswer above

Dr. K :

You should mix the turkey and rice that you have been feeding together with the commercial dog food....gradually over the course of a week to 10 days...

Customer :

i was typing at same time and missed it

Dr. K :

Do not just switch back to the commercial diet abruptly as this could cause diarrhea.

Dr. K :

Do this gradual change until you get her back on the commercial diet.

Dr. K :

If she is playful and comfortable, then I do not think that this sounds serious. :)

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with her, and I hope that you are feeling better soon as well!

Customer :

whew...good...she is my much loved companion

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, then please click on the "accept" to show that you were pleased with your service.

Customer :

ok if any changes like diarrhea or vomitting i should see vet

Dr. K :

Yes, that would be recommended.

Customer :

one sec please let me scan back to make sure i didnt miss anythink

Customer :

ok...it will be ok for another day to use the rice and meat...if i add green beans or peas and eliminate the tomatores and cheese?

Dr. K :

Yes, that would be ok.

Customer :

good ty...hopefully i can get out or get some help by then

Customer :

ok ty so much...she seems quiet and sleeping now...maybe distress has passed for now

Customer :

so i click accept and that charges me the $18 and ends this session?

Dr. K :

Yes, that is correct.

Customer :

ok...ty very much

Dr. K :

You are very welcome. It was my pleasure to help you.

Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian