Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

there is a hard lump in my dogs stomach. Golf ball size.

there is a hard lump in my dog's stomach. Golf ball size. I have not noticed it until now. The current treatment plan is to reconsider the diagnosis of lymphoma and pursue additional diagnostic testing because none of the aspirates of liver/spleen came out positive for lymphoma. And, the most important one, the 'PARR-Assay' came out negative.

First round of chemo seemed to go okay and he packed on 4 lbs, but second round of Vincristine did not have same effect. Lost that 4 lbs.

White blood cells are decreased. Off prednisone 10 mg (last week) as of today. Still eating.

The first test showed hepatocytes were present in cohesive clusters suggesting lymphocytic inflammation. I have all of the workup in front of me. Just provided his stool for another sample. But this has been going on for weeks, and would like to know what that lump is and what can be done to make sure we're not missing something that should be remedied promptly.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure why it wasn't done yet, but I would surgically remove the lump and have it biopsied. This is the only way to know for sure what it is. Needle aspirates are a nice start, but ultimately the surgical removal/ biopsy is the diagnostic test of choice.

That will tell you if it is lymphoma or some other type of cancer- hemangiosarcoma is a very common tumor type in goldens. If it's a skin mass, then mast cell tumor is common. Depending on what that is, will guide your chemo plan as they all respond to different protocols.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nobody has mentioned the lump before. I just felt it today. I don't see how it is possibly a problem since he's been seen about 8 times now in the past few weeks since I'm not the expert. It's not on the skin. It is internal. Maybe it grew in 3 days since his last exam?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
If it's internal, then you're likely feeling a splenic mass. In that case, hemangiosarcoma would be the most likely although lymphoma is possible.

It may also be a kidney you are feeling, but that can be distinguished by your vet. The kidneys are typically more dorsal in the abdomen (top part) where the spleen sits ventral (toward bottom).

If a spleen, then ultrasound will confirm a mass and then surgery to remove the spleen is indicated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.