Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My guinea pig has discharge coming from one eye. Is this c

My guinea pig has discharge coming from one eye. Is this conjunctivitis?

I'm sorry to hear your guinea pig has this problem. Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

What color is the discharge? How long has it been occurring?

Is the white part of the eye reddened - you may have to gently pull back the eyelid to tell?

Is there any discharge from the nose?

Is the guinea pig eating normally?

What kind of bedding/litter do you use?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
milky color discharge.
2-3 weeks.
the eye does not seem red, however the eyelid is swollen and pink.
No discharge from his nose.
eating normally.
cedar bedding.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed. Your patience is appreciated.

Thank you for waiting. The first thing I would do is get rid of the cedar bedding. cedar and pine both contain volatile oils that can irritate the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. They can also lead to liver and kidney disorders. I recommend CareFresh or another paper-based litter.

A discharge from the eye can indicate so many different things that it would be difficult to say exactly what is causing this.Conjunctivitis is a possibility, but there are many others. It could be anything from a slight injury to the earliest sign of an upper respiratory infection. Eye discharge is also common when there's a dental problem, a polyp, a tumor, or abscess putting pressure on the eye from behind. However, since it's only one eye, there's a good chance it's caused by an injury or some kind of irritant that got into that eye.

Guinea pigs do normally have a white eye discharge ("sleep" dirt), but they clean it off themselves. I would get rid of the cedar bedding, and then try the following first aid measures for a few days. Gently clean the eye with a warm, wet cloth. After wiping it, put in some preservative-free saline drops several times a day. The kind used for contact lenses is fine. If the eye doesn't improve within a few days, or if your guinea pig develops a nasal discharge or a cough, or loses his appetite, it would be best to call a vet. Here's a link where you can read more about the various causes of eye discharges in Guinea pigs:

If you end up needing a vet, here's where you can find one who is experienced with guinea pigs/rabbits:

If you have any more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your guinea pig's eye clears up quickly.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)