Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian for 17 years, loves dogs, cats, birds, and wildlife
36050890

How much acetaminophen/codeine is toxic for a 60-lb. dog

How much acetaminophen/codeine is toxic for a 60-lb. dog?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with your question about acetaminophen/codeine.

This medication is sometimes used in dogs and the dosage is based on the codeine in the drug. The therapeutic dose is 1-2 mg/kg codeine every 6-8 hours.

So, for a 60-pound dog, anything containing over 60mg of the codeine would be considered an overdose.

Toxic reactions vary from dog to dog, and the presence of other underlying disease will affect a dog's ability to handle a larger dose.

The LD50 (this is the Lethal Dose it takes to kill 50% of a population of test rats) of codeine is 375mg/kg, which translates to 11,250mg for a 60 pound dog. That being said, though, there's lots of room to get very sick between that and the 60mg therapeutic dose.

Please click REPLY to discuss this further, If your dog has ingested some codeine and you're unsure if he's in any danger, I can do the math for you. Just let me know how much he has eaten.

It is best to treat tylenol toxicity before the dog is acting sick, so quick action may be necessary. Inducing vomiting and activated charcoal may be indicated, as well as gastrointestinal protectants and supportive care like IV fluids. These dogs get pretty sick.

Please let me know what else I can do to help.

Thank you!

Edited by Dr. Jo on 11/17/2010 at 4:21 PM EST
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: small animal veterinarian for 17 years, loves dogs, cats, birds, and wildlife