Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My hamsters urine is milky colored

Customer Question

My hamsters urine is milky colored
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

This is normal with hamsters. Please do not worry about Yogie. You may notice it more when they go into Estrous every 3-4 weeks when the Yogie is ready for breeding and the hormones change. Hamster's urine is very thick and can actually go from a creamy milky color to a darker brown color. You may gen get a foul smell when the urine is thicker in constancy during the Estrous period. This link explains the Estrous cycle in mammals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrous_cycle

I hope this puts your mind at ease. Joan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yogie is a male.......
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Are you sure Yogie is a male? We see this more commonly in females, but males can also have the milky urine. Their urine is thick normally, an it does change colors. In females in Eterous there is usually the stronger odor. The milky urine is still normal even if Yogie is a male. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I am sure he is a male. This is uncommon for him for his urine to be cloudy. I just noticed it today after i had changed his bedding. I am not sure you have have answered my question to my satisfaction.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I will be happy to opt out and allow another Expert to assist you. We definately want you to be happy. Joan

Edited by Joan on 11/7/2010 at 10:52 PM EST
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Some additional information will be useful.

Exactly how old is Yogie?

You said that he never had milky urine before, what color is his urine normally?

Has he been drinking more or less water than usual?

Is anything else out of the ordinary - appetite, lethargy, etc.?

Thank you.

Anna

Edited by Anna on 11/8/2010 at 2:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
never mind I will just take him to the vet tommorrow. I thought that this would be a good source of information. Obviously this is not the case. I do not accept your answer and I am not obliged to authorize payment.
Thank you
MJF