Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in emergency, surgery and medicine
14018973

puppy: weeks old..scratching..now my little fellow has diarrhea.

my puppy, a lhasapoo, is 11 weeks old. the day i brought him home from the breeder the puppy was vigorously scratching itself. what is the reason ? now my little fellow has diarrhea. no change in food. at the moment i'm hand feeding him plain boiled rice. is the scratching and diarrhea related ? please advise. thank you

Optional Information:
Gender: Male
Age: 11 weeks
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about Frankie's situation. Honestly, one of the most common reasons for scratching is fleas. You may not physically see them and they could still be there. If he's scratching at his ears, then it could be ear mites. I would recommend having him checked over by a vet if you haven't done this yet. They can start / set him on his needed preventative health program including vaccines, heart worm prevention and de-worming schedule. It is good that you've been feeding the same food. But, some will have diarrhea due purely to the change in environment. He's been stressed due to the move. Could he be getting new treats as this can also cause loose stools. The other possibility is intestinal parasites and this is something your vet can screen for.