Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Dog, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Gerbil breeder / Reptile Keeper / Bunny-Ferret-Exotic Specialist

Until last night I thought I had two females. Now I have rabbits

Until last night I thought I had two females. Now I have rabbits and rabbits. Do I need to seperate the male and how do I tell which one is which? I haven't seen either one attempting to feed the young.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gen B. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question...I am sorry that you have had this surprise!

Yes, the male should be removed from the enclosure. The female may be pregnant again, since this species ovulated AFTER sexual contact has been made. Look for a new litter in a little more than a month from now.

Males of reproductive age may have testicles that show and a fully developed penis. Females often have a "ruff" of extra skin and fur under the neck, and will appear thin when they have delivered a litter.
Click here to see how to identify a male (photos included).

Rabbits feed their young during the overnight hours. Make sure the mother has a good supply of pellets, hay and water all day and night long.

Males may be fertile as early as six weeks of age, so separate the litter by gender at this age.

If you need additional support at this time, please "REPLY" below.