How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 1801
Experience:  DVM 2000, Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, DABVP, since 2009
14784321
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is Sorbitol toxic to dogs?

This answer was rated:

Is Sorbitol toxic to dogs?

Did Lilllye ingest gum or a medication containing sorbitol?

Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol like xylitol. However it doesn't have systemic effects of xylitol. Xylitol can be very toxic to dogs.

Sorbitol, however, is safe. You could see mild vomiting or diarrhea with ingestion, depending on what else was eaten with it. (By the way, sorbitol is an ingredient in some brands of activated charcoal that we administer to dogs to help slow absorption of toxins that they may have ingested.)

Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP and 2 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you

She could have some vomiting or diarrhea (again, mild) from eating the gum. Any wrappers should pass in her stool.

Please double-check to make sure no xylitol was present in the gum, as that could constitute an emergency. If not, I'm glad to report that everything should be ok!