Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 2000, Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, DABVP, since 2009

I have been feeding my dog Greek Yogurt for lunch thinking

I have been feeding my dog Greek Yogurt for lunch thinking it was good for her bones and teeth. Someone recently told me diary products are not good for dogs. What do you recommend?

For breakfast she gets kibble and for dinner she gets home made chicken,vegetables and brown rice.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Devlin, and I am happy to assist you with your question about Coco.

While it is true that some dogs are lactose intolerant, yogurt can be a health addition to a dog's diet when given in small amounts. I generally recommend 1-2 tablespoons daily for a medium (40 lbs) sized dog. As long as she is not having diarrhea or excess gas, I would not be concerned.

It is important that 80-90% of her food be a good quality dog food that is complete and balanced for adult dogs, and the rest can be chicken, fruit, vegetables, etc.

In addition, you might want to consider adding fortiflora, by purina to her diet. Because dogs are carnivores, their stomach/intestinal pH is different than humans, and they often digest the benefical bacterial cultures in yogurts. Fortiflora has beneficial cultures that are microencapsulated and reach the intestinal tract intact. Clinically proven, as well.

More info:

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else with Coco.
Dr. Laura