Christian K.
Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in medicine, surgery and behavior with exotics,canines and felines

Beagle: swallowed a tyenol Pill, I have see the response

Out 6 year old Beagle, swallowed a Tyenol Pill, I have see the response for three Tylenols what protocol, should I follow?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Christian K. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Christian K. :

Were there any other active ingredients in the tylenol? How much does he weigh? Does he have any other medical ingredients or take other medications? How many pills did he swallow and how many mg are each pill? How long ago did he eat it?

Customer :

Standard Tylenol,

Customer :

She weights about 40 lbs

Christian K. :

That should say "medical conditions or take other medications?"

Customer :

No to any other medical ingredients or medications

Customer :

we are approaching two hours

Customer :

maybe 2.5 hours

Christian K. :

Do you know the mg of the pill?

Customer :

Iam checking on same

Customer :

500 mg

Christian K. :

Okay. If she ate only one then she'll probably be just fine. It takes a good amount of tylenol to cause a problem for a dog her size (sorry I've been saying he, the gender said she but I just noticed her name). After this amount of time vomiting won't be successful because the pill would have been digested. Toxicity occurs at much higher doses than this. The tylenol would cause breathing difficulties and anemia due to its affect on red blood cells. The normal dose for a dog her size would be about 270mg, so you can see that this isn't a huge overdose. A typical dog her size would need to ingest 6 or 7 pills of the 500mg variety. Here's a link with more:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acetaminophen-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Christian K. :

Basically, I would watch her for symptoms (that link describes the stages in detail) but wouldn't worry too mcuh.

Customer :

Thank You one hell uva a mistake dropped, she grapped end of story, I know better made a Big Mistake, Thanks for your assistance!!!!

Christian K. :

You are welcome. Good luck. They are sneaky sometimes aren't they?

Customer :

Yes sir she was and I typed in the wrong sex, by bag, once again THANKS

Christian K. :

You are welcome. Have a great night.

Christian K. :

If you have more questions just let me know.

Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of veterinary experience in medicine, surgery and behavior with exotics,canines and felines