Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My Rabbit has a very swollen vagina, it all started with some

Customer Question

My Rabbit has a very swollen vagina, it all started with some loose stools, so I stopped feeding her pellets and greens and just gave her hay for the past few days. She now is drinking excessive amounts of water, and her hind area is very wet with urine. The loose stools have stopped.
I will be calling the vet in the morning, I just wanted some help now.
She has had her ovaries removed 2 years ago, when she was spayed they were enlarged due to an infection.
I am just worried I may have to have her put to sleep tomorrow :(
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Is Hunny still eating well?

Is she lethargic, or is she still moving around and being active?

Thank you for the additional information.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She seems to be eating well, I have been just giving her lots of hay and water for the past 2 days in an attempt to stop the loose stools. She is still moving around pretty normal, except she keeps lifting up her hind legs and looks pretty uncomfortable. She is urinating on the upper levels of her cage where her food and water are kept which she never does.

I have been doing some online research, could it be kidney problems?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please help
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. The symptoms you're seeing can indicate kidney disease. But, they can also be signs of a urinary tract infection, which can be treated with antibiotics. Without treatment, infections can lead to kidney or bladder disease. Your rabbit does need to be seen by a vet. This link will take you to a directory of rabbit vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

The loose stools are probably caused by a condition called cecal dysbiosis. Rabbits produce a special dropping called cecal pellets. These are not regular feces, but a are a rich source of beneficial bacteria. Rabbits must eat them to stay healthy. However, the cecal pellets are usually passed in the middle of the night, and you won't know if your rabbit is eating them or not. Dysbiosis usually occurs for one of two reasons: foods that are too rich in carbohydrates or an imbalance in the beneficial bacteria. You can read more about cecal dysbiosis here (scroll down):

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

It may help to provide some beneficial bacteria (probiotics) for your rabbit. A brand called Bene-Bac is often available in pet stores and online. You can also use a human liquid formula, if it is nondairy. These are available in health food stores. Give some beneficial bacteria every day for a couple of weeks. After that, provide some twice a week. If you do this, you should see an improvement in the stools.However, I would ask the vet about that, too.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be an easily-treated urinary tract infection.

Anna