Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

My dog has brown dry scales on his nose...how do we get rid

Customer Question

My dog has brown dry scales on his nose...how do we get rid of them? its not dried dog food...i already tried to wipe it off...
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.

It's possible that these dry brown scales on your dog's nose are the result of too much sun exposure, contact with an irritating substance, or an allergic reaction to something either contacted, in the environment or ingredients in his food.
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/allergies.html

It will be necessary to have your dog evaluated in person by his vet, to determine the cause of these scales and then have them treated, after diagnosis. The vet may want to do a skin scraping (painless) to view the composition of the scales and obtain more information for a definite diagnosis, so the best treatment can be prescribed.

If your regular vet cannot make a diagnosis, a referral to a veterinary dermatology specialist would be a good next step. You can find names of dermatolgy specialists, here: www.acvd.org

For the moment, continue to keep the area clean, as you have been, and monitor him for any changes in the appearance of these scales, until you can get him assessed in person by the vet.

I hope all will be well with your dog!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher